Julian Assange faces deepening isolation as his asylum at Ecuadorian Embassy in London is well into its seventh year. The new president of Ecuador is showing exasperation with Assanges presence, and the embassy has restricted his Internet access and other privileges. Though Sweden has long since dropped its original arrest warrant for Assange on rape and sexual assault allegations, the British police are still keen to take him into custody for evading a warrant of their own. Assanges supporters must face the possibility that their idol could soon find himself in jail.
The architect of WikiLeaks continues to depict himself as a heroic fighter for the cause of transparency, but that image is increasingly hard to take at face value. A series of revelations over the past two years from U.S. intelligence agencies, special counsel Robert S. Mueller III and the international media have dramatically altered Assanges place in the scheme of things.
Assange, we now know, was a key player in the Russian operation to undermine the 2016 U.S. presidential election by actively helping Donald Trump to become president and undercutting Americans trust in their democracy, the twin goals of Russian President Vladimir Putins interference campaign.
Assange behaved as an instrument of the Kremlin operation which, in an excruciatingly close election, may have made just enough of a difference to secure Trumps victory.
Once, Assange was celebrated as the apostle of openness. But now, it seems, history will more likely remember him as an accessory to one of the worlds most secretive and cynical autocracies.
Muellers investigators have recently questioned at least five witnesses about Assanges role in the 2016 campaign. The WikiLeaks founders ties to Trump confidant Roger Stone appear to be a focus of that line of inquiry, as ABC News reported last week.
More revelations are likely to come. But we already know Assange looks less like a crusader of the online counterculture than the power-mad intriguer who once referred to Hillary Clinton as a sadistic sociopath and who was happy to openly accept Russian support. (The Kremlins RT propaganda network gave a show to Assange for a time, and the Guardian newspaper recently reported on an apparent Russian plan to help Assange escape Britain, though it was ultimately scrapped.) In July, the Mueller investigation indicted a dozen Russian military-intelligence operatives for stealing information from Democratic Party computers information, the indictment said, that was then passed on to WikiLeaks.
That has prompted some observers to recall a remarkable appearance by Assange on Dutch television in August 2016. At the time, Trumps campaign was foundering, even after Russian intelligence agencies had mounted a campaign to help him by stoking U.S. divisions on social media, promoting fake stories and hacking into the servers of the Democratic National Committee.
Assange was asked whether WikiLeaks had material that could help Trump. He responded by detonating a conspiracy theory, despite knowing it to be untrue. Theres a 27-year-old who works for the DNC who was shot in the back, murdered for unknown reasons, Assange said. He was referring to Seth Rich, killed in a robbery, whose death has since been weaponized by anti-Clinton activists.
Assange was in a unique position to energize the notion of a politically-motivated assassination. What are you suggesting? the Dutch interviewer asked. Assange coolly replied: Im suggesting that our sources take risks. Though declining to confirm Rich was a source, he did manage to imply that Rich had handed WikiLeaks the documents. Assanges remarks fueled countless far-right conspiracy theories used by Trump and his defenders to divert public attention from the compromising findings of Muellers investigators and the U.S. intelligence community.
The GRU (Russian military intelligence) created a character it called Guccifer 2.0, an alleged Romanian hacker, to divert attention away from the Kremlin after the DNC and U.S. intelligence officials discovered Russian fingerprints on the cyberintrusions. Four days after the DNC hack, WikiLeaks became the beneficiary of Guccifer 2.0s work. Assangetold Britains ITN that WikiLeaks has a very big year ahead, acknowledging it had emails related to Hillary Clinton which are pending publication.
Guccifer 2.0confirmed he was working with Assange, and Wikileaks became an important tool in the Russian operation. Oddly enough, Assanges quest for documents never extended to the Trump campaign, which was more secretive than any in recent U.S. political history. WikiLeaks didnt appear to have much interest in Trumps tax returns, or in any of the communications between top campaign officials and Russian figures. Nor has WikiLeaks ever provided any sensational revelations from the databases of the Kremlin.
WikiLeaks became fully engaged in helping Trump and Russia. In July 2016, just before the Democratic Convention the launch of the final stage of the Clinton campaign WikiLeaks released DNC emails that suggested the party had favored Clinton over Sen. Bernie Sanders. The timing roiled the convention, forced resignations among top Democratic officials, and unquestionably hurt Clintons efforts to gain the support of Sanderss supporters.
And, of course, in October 2016, when Trumps campaign seemed on the verge of collapse with near-simultaneous releases of the Access Hollywood recording (in which Trump boasts of committing sexual assault), and a U.S. intelligence report confirming Kremlin interference Wikileaks rushed to the rescue.
Exactly 29 minutes after Americans heard the would-be president declare that when youre famous, you can grab them by the py, WikiLeaks posted emails hacked from the computer of Clintons campaign chairman, John Podesta. Headline writers could hardly keep up. Trumps troubles eased.
Soon after, at a frenzied campaign rally, Trumpgushed, I love WikiLeaks!
Trump had every reason to say that. In 2010, when Assange first assured the world he would remain strictly impartial in his search for the truth, many of his admirers still believed him. One wonders how many of them still do.
Go here to read the rest:
The image of Julian Assange grows darker by the day – The Washington Post
- Julian Assange ordered by Ecuador to curb speech, clean ... - October 18th, 2018
- Julian Assange needs to take care of his cat, or itll be ... - October 18th, 2018
- Ecuador restores internet access to Julian Assange in embassy base ... - October 14th, 2018
- Julian Assange appoints new WikiLeaks editor-in-chief ... - October 1st, 2018
- Was there a plan to help Julian Assange escape to Russia? - September 30th, 2018
- Wikileaks Julian Assange Steps Down. Heres Its New Editor | Fortune - September 29th, 2018
- WikiLeaks names new editor-in-chief, replacing Julian Assange | Fox News - September 29th, 2018
- WikiLeaks replaces Julian Assange as its editor-in-chief ... - September 29th, 2018
- Julian Assange is no longer editor-in-chief of WikiLeaks - September 29th, 2018
- Julian Assange replaced as Wikileaks editor-in-chief | TheHill - September 29th, 2018
- WikiLeaks replaces Julian Assange as editor-in-chief - September 28th, 2018
- Julian Assange Went After a Former Ally. It Backfired Epically. - September 28th, 2018
- Julian Assange steps down at Wikileaks - September 28th, 2018
- Julian Assange 'considering' testifying before US Senate ... - September 27th, 2018
- Julian Assange: International diplomat? - hotair.com - September 27th, 2018
- Did Russia Try to Rescue Julian Assange? | Vanity Fair - September 27th, 2018
- Russia plotted sneaking Julian Assange out of Ecuadorian ... - September 27th, 2018
- Ecuador wanted to make Julian Assange a diplomat and send him ... - September 27th, 2018
- Julian Assange's Mother: Seth Rich Was DNC Leaker - Your News ... - September 19th, 2018
- Julian Assange's fate rests on death penalty assurances ... - September 19th, 2018
- Petition to Trump: Pardon Julian Assange - infowars.com - September 19th, 2018
- Julian Assange - LewRockwell - September 12th, 2018
- Julian Assange is in poor health, needs treatment, says ... - September 8th, 2018
- As his isolation intensifies, WikiLeaks' Julian Assange faces ... - August 29th, 2018
- Julian Assange, The Man Behind WikiLeaks - CBS News - August 27th, 2018
- Why Democracy Needs Solidarity for Julian Assange's Freedom - August 25th, 2018
- Assanges Mother Claims DNC Staffer Leaked Data To Wikileaks ... - August 25th, 2018
- Julian Assange and the Fate of Journalism - counterpunch.org - August 24th, 2018
- London: Ecuador embassy vigil marks six years since Julian ... - August 22nd, 2018
- We hear Julian Assange is 'seriously' considering coming to ... - August 21st, 2018
- Mueller investigation seeks to implicate WikiLeaks and Julian ... - August 21st, 2018
- Julian Assange pardon push going nowhere one year later - August 21st, 2018
- Julian Assange wanted to testify before Senate Intelligence ... - August 8th, 2018
- Julian Assange Is About To Lose Asylum, Arrest Imminent - August 7th, 2018
- Assange's refuge in Ecuadorian embassy 'in jeopardy ... - August 5th, 2018
- Why Americans Need to Defend Julian Assanges Freedom - August 5th, 2018
- Julian Assanges lawyer: Australian government has a duty ... - August 5th, 2018
- Julian Assange must eventually leave London embassy, says Ecuador - August 1st, 2018
- Julian Assange: WikiLeaks founder wants Australian government ... - August 1st, 2018
- WikiLeaks' Julian Assange could face 'imminent' embassy expulsion - July 31st, 2018
- Julian Assange faces imminent expulsion from Ecuadorean Embassy - July 30th, 2018
- Wikileaks' Julian Assange will be removed from Ecuadorean ... - July 28th, 2018
- Julian Assange looks for deal to end 'diplomatic isolation' - CNN - July 28th, 2018
- Julian Assange's team 'making plans for imminent expulsion ... - July 28th, 2018
- WikiLeaks' Julian Assange may be evicted from Ecuador ... - July 26th, 2018
- The Arrest of Julian Assange Appears Near - Truthdig - July 25th, 2018
- Ecuador to Withdraw Asylum for Wikileaks Founder Julian Assange - July 25th, 2018
- Is this finally the end for Julian Assange? - hotair.com - July 25th, 2018
- Ecuador close to evicting WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange ... - July 25th, 2018
- Martyrs to the Cause: Carter Page and Julian Assange ... - July 25th, 2018
- Julian Assange to be handed over to UK officials: Report - July 22nd, 2018
- Julian Assange Could Be Turned Over To U.K. Authorities Soon ... - July 22nd, 2018
- Julian Assange: Ecuador may be close to ejecting him from its ... - July 22nd, 2018
- A Call to Bring Julian Assange Home Consortiumnews - July 21st, 2018
- Pamela Anderson Opens Up About Being Linked to Julian Assange ... - July 21st, 2018
- Julian Assange, CrowdStrike, and the Russian Hack That Wasnt ... - July 18th, 2018
- Report: Julian Assange Soon May Be Kicked Out of Embassy - July 18th, 2018
- Why I Stand With Julian Assange | The American Conservative - July 17th, 2018
- Persecution of WikiLeaks editor Julian Assange continues ... - July 10th, 2018
- Julian Assange - Computer Programmer, Journalist, Activist ... - July 6th, 2018
- "I Am Julian Assange" | Zero Hedge - July 4th, 2018
- The Next Step: The Campaign for Julian Assange - July 4th, 2018
- UK Should Reject Extraditing Julian Assange to US | Human ... - June 26th, 2018
- Vigil for the health of Julian Assange to take place in ... - June 25th, 2018
- Julian Assange and the Mindszenty Case - Antiwar.com Original - June 23rd, 2018
- Bring Julian Assange Home - counterpunch.org - June 20th, 2018
- Julian Assange, WikiLeaks publisher, receives rare embassy ... - June 10th, 2018
- Free Julian Assange rallies called in Sri Lanka and India ... - June 10th, 2018
- Pamela Anderson Defends Russia and Julian Assange: Ive ... - June 10th, 2018
- Lift the ban on communications! Free Julian Assange ... - June 8th, 2018
- Pamela Anderson Says Trump Should Pardon Julian Assange - June 8th, 2018
- Ecuador's president says Julian Assange can stay in ... - June 1st, 2018
- Julian Assange: UK 'threat' to arrest Wikileaks founder - BBC ... - May 31st, 2018
- Julian Assange's refuge 'in jeopardy' - CNN Video - May 26th, 2018
- Ecuador to remove Julian Assange's extra security from ... - May 21st, 2018
- The ballad of Pammy and Julian Assange - her poor ... - May 4th, 2018
- Ecuador cuts off Julian Assange's internet access at ... - March 29th, 2018
- Julian Assange loses Internet access - The Washington Post - March 29th, 2018
- Ecuador cutting off WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange's ... - March 29th, 2018
- Ecuador cuts WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange's internet ... - March 29th, 2018