Ecuadors foreign minister has said Julian Assanges five-and-a-half-year stay in her countrys London embassy is untenable and should be ended through international mediation.
The WikiLeaks founder has been holed up in Knightsbridge since the summer of 2012, when he faced the prospect of extradition to Sweden over claims that he sexually assaulted two women. He denies the accusations.
Swedish prosecutors last year unexpectedly dropped their investigation into the allegations, which included a claim of rape. But Assange still faces arrest for breaching bail conditions if he steps outside the embassy and WikiLeaks has voiced fears that the US will seek his extradition and that there is a sealed indictment ordering his arrest.
WikiLeaks publications have included hundreds of thousands of US army war logs and state department diplomatic cables and more recently emails from the Democratic National Committee during the run-up to the 2016 US presidential election. The US attorney general, Jeff Sessions, said last May that Assanges arrest was now a priority.
Ecuadors foreign minister, Mara Fernanda Espinosa, said her country was now seeking a third country or a personality to mediate a final settlement with the UK to resolve the impasse and said it was considering and exploring the possibility of mediation.
No solution will be achieved without international cooperation and the cooperation of the United Kingdom, which has also shown interest in seeking a way out, she told foreign correspondents in Quito, according to Agence France-Presse.
Assange, who has received numerous visitors to his modest quarters in the embassy, ranging from Nigel Farage to Lady Gaga, has described the period since his initial arrest as a terrible injustice. Not being able to see his children grow up was not something I can forgive, he said.
For several years, Metropolitan police officers maintained a constant watch of the embassy, which is situated behind Harrods in central London, at a cost of at least 11.1m, according to figures released by Scotland Yard in June 2015. Four months later, police lifted the round-the-clock guard on the basis it was no longer proportionate.
A United Nations panel concluded in 2016 that Assange was under arbitrary detention.
On Tuesday evening, a lawyer for Assange appeared to welcome Ecuadors proposal. He said his client had a right to asylum and argued that the risk of him being persecuted in the US had escalated further in recent months under the Trump administrations war on WikiLeaks and that the investigation in Sweden had twice been discontinued.
If the UK wishes to show that it is a nation that respects its human rights obligations and commitments to the United Nations, it is time for Mr Assange to be allowed to enjoy his right to liberty, and fundamental right to protection against persecution in the United States, she said.
A spokesperson for the UK government said: The government of Ecuador knows that the way to resolve this issue is for Julian Assange to leave the embassy to face justice.
View original post here:
Julian Assange’s stay in London embassy untenable, says …
- Julian Assanges poor hygiene sparks complaints at embassy - January 15th, 2018
- WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange is now an Ecuadorian citizen ... - January 13th, 2018
- Ecuador Gives Assange Citizenship, Worsening Standoff With ... - January 13th, 2018
- Ecuador grants nationality to WikiLeaks founder Julian ... - January 13th, 2018
- WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange's poor hygiene sparks ... - January 13th, 2018
- Julian Assange is made an Ecuadorian citizen in effort to ... - January 12th, 2018
- Ecuador grants WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange citizenship ... - January 12th, 2018
- Julian Assange's asylum in Ecuadoran embassy in doubt ... - January 11th, 2018
- Julian Assange latest: Wikileaks chief mystery over claims ... - January 4th, 2018
- Christmas Mystery: Did Julian Assange Delete ... - thewrap.com - December 28th, 2017
- Navy explains 'inadvertent' tweet about Julian Assange | TheHill - December 28th, 2017
- Assange confirms WikiLeaks was approached by Trump-linked ... - December 12th, 2017
- 10 Things You Should Know About Julian Assange | Alternet - November 25th, 2017
- Saturday Night Live Spies on a Meeting Between Donald Trump ... - November 23rd, 2017
- Julian Assange Tries to Save Net Neutrality With Rambling ... - November 23rd, 2017
- WikiLeaks' Julian Assange claims he made 50,000% return on ... - November 23rd, 2017
- Julian Assanges strange new obsession ThinkProgress - November 23rd, 2017
- Kate McKinnon debuts Julian Assange impression on 'Saturday ... - November 23rd, 2017
- Help make Julian Assange Australia's US ambassador, WikiLeaks ... - November 17th, 2017
- Can We Still Trust Julian Assange and WikiLeaks? - Truthdig ... - November 17th, 2017
- We Knew Julian Assange Hated Clinton. We Didnt Know He Was ... - November 16th, 2017
- UK prosecutors admit destroying key emails in Julian Assange ... - November 11th, 2017
- Julian Assange: FBI Supplied Stephen Paddock Weapons For Massacre - November 6th, 2017
- Julian Assange on Roger Stone & Accusations About WikiLeaks ... - November 5th, 2017
- Julian Assange and #MeToo: Skeevy guys strike back - Salon.com - October 30th, 2017
- Assange: Trump-tied firm sought WikiLeaks' help before ... - October 28th, 2017
- Julian Assange confirms data firm Trump hired during campaign ... - October 28th, 2017
- Julian Assange confirms Cambridge Analytica sought ... - October 27th, 2017
- Clinton, Assange and the War on Truth - October 24th, 2017
- Whistleblower Julian Assange Sounds Off on #MeToo Twitter ... - October 24th, 2017
- Julian Assange Said Bernie Sanders Won Race, Was Threatened - October 20th, 2017
- Julian Assange Thanks U.S. Government for 50,000% Gains on ... - October 20th, 2017
- Julian Assange: "There's Something Wrong With Hillary Clinton ... - October 20th, 2017
- Hillary Clinton says Julian Assange colluded with Russia to ... - October 18th, 2017
- Julian Assange is squabbling with Ecuadors new president ... - October 15th, 2017
- Exclusive: Julian Assange on Roger Stone and Trump Campaign ... - October 15th, 2017
- Can Julian Assange now walk free? What happens next - Q&A ... - October 15th, 2017
- Julian Assange Marks 5.5 Years Inside Ecuadorean Embassy as ... - October 12th, 2017
- The 'World's First Internet War' Has Begun: Julian Assange ... - October 6th, 2017
- Chomsky: CIA Targeting of Julian Assange of WikiLeaks is ... - October 6th, 2017
- Video of Julian Assange Speaking After Sweden Halts Rape ... - October 6th, 2017
- Julian Assange: Sweden Drops Rape Investigation Against ... - October 6th, 2017
- Sweden Drops Rape Investigation into Julian Assange - Rolling ... - October 6th, 2017
- Why Trump should listen to Julian Assanges DNC email offer - October 4th, 2017
- WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange in war of words with nation ... - October 1st, 2017
- Sweden Withdraws Arrest Warrant for Julian Assange, but He ... - October 1st, 2017
- Julian Assanges claim that there was no Russian involvement ... - September 30th, 2017
- Swedish prosecutors drop Julian Assange rape investigation ... - September 30th, 2017
- Julian Assange says 'proper war is just commencing' after ... - September 29th, 2017
- Julian Assange Says He Will Provide Evidence ... - pjmedia.com - September 29th, 2017
- On Catalan independence, Julian Assange, Edward Snowden ... - September 29th, 2017
- Inside the Ecuadorean Embassy, an Artist Paints Epic Portraits of ... - September 27th, 2017
- Julian Assange: My Next Leak Will Ensure Hillary's Arrest ... - September 25th, 2017
- Pamela Anderson admits she isnt actually dating Julian ... - September 21st, 2017
- Congressman tries to broker White House pardon for Julian ... - September 20th, 2017
- GOP Congressman Tried to Broker Pardon for Julian Assange ... - September 20th, 2017
- Yes, Julian Assange has a solar-eclipse conspiracy theory for ... - August 26th, 2017
- Assange blasts 'absurd' bid to class WikiLeaks a hostile intelligence service - RT - August 24th, 2017
- Donald Trump could soon pardon Wikileaks founder Julian Assange after doing this - Express.co.uk - August 24th, 2017
- Julian Assange, Eclipse Truther - Gizmodo - Gizmodo - August 22nd, 2017
- Democrat's Call for FBI Probe of Meeting Gets Assange and Rohrabacher's Goat - OC Weekly - August 22nd, 2017
- Assange meets US congressman, vows to prove Russia did not ... - August 21st, 2017
- Report: GOP Rep. Dana Rohrabacher Meets With Julian Assange ... - August 21st, 2017
- Julian Assange, master of the (dark) arts - Apollo Magazine - August 21st, 2017
- Calls for FBI investigate to Dana Rohrabacher's meeting with Julian Assange grow - Salon - August 19th, 2017
- California politics updates: Rohrabacher says he'll take info he learned from Julian Assange back to President Trump - Los Angeles Times - August 19th, 2017
- 3 Questions About A Pro-Russia Congressman's Meeting With Julian Assange - NPR - August 18th, 2017
- Risk: The film Julian Assange doesn't want you to see - Stuff.co.nz - August 17th, 2017
- Julian Assange: software developer, whistleblower ... and 'edgewalker'? - The Guardian - August 15th, 2017
- Behind the Portrait: Julian Assange - The New Yorker - August 15th, 2017
- Julian Assange wants to hire the Google engineer who got fired for writing the controversial Google manifesto (GOOG ... - Markets Insider - August 12th, 2017
- The Nation: DNC Hack Was 'Inside Job,' Not by Russia - Newsmax - August 11th, 2017
- Google cancels all-staff diversity meeting - BBC News - August 11th, 2017
- 'You want me arrested?': Julian Assange tweets at France's Macron over leaked emails - RT - August 7th, 2017
- WOW! BREAKING=> Julian Assange Suggests Seth Rich - Who Was MURDERED in ... - August 5th, 2017
- Julian Assange Gets Laughed Off Twitter After Tone Deaf Poll - The Daily Dot - August 5th, 2017
- Julian Assange Trolls Hillary Clinton With Twitter Trend - August 1st, 2017
- Risk: Julian Assange film by Laura Poitras blurs the line between ... - The Conversation UK - August 1st, 2017
- Macron's emails RELEASED: WikiLeaks publishes documents and there's 790 mentions of BREXIT - Express.co.uk - July 31st, 2017
- Laura Poitras Talks Assange, Her Final Version of Risk and Trump's Tax Returns - Filmmaker Magazine - July 29th, 2017