Ecuadors foreign minister has said Julian Assanges five-and-a-half-year stay in her countrys London embassy is untenable and should be ended through international mediation.
The WikiLeaks founder has been holed up in Knightsbridge since the summer of 2012, when he faced the prospect of extradition to Sweden over claims that he sexually assaulted two women. He denies the accusations.
Swedish prosecutors last year unexpectedly dropped their investigation into the allegations, which included a claim of rape. But Assange still faces arrest for breaching bail conditions if he steps outside the embassy and WikiLeaks has voiced fears that the US will seek his extradition and that there is a sealed indictment ordering his arrest.
WikiLeaks publications have included hundreds of thousands of US army war logs and state department diplomatic cables and more recently emails from the Democratic National Committee during the run-up to the 2016 US presidential election. The US attorney general, Jeff Sessions, said last May that Assanges arrest was now a priority.
Ecuadors foreign minister, Mara Fernanda Espinosa, said her country was now seeking a third country or a personality to mediate a final settlement with the UK to resolve the impasse and said it was considering and exploring the possibility of mediation.
No solution will be achieved without international cooperation and the cooperation of the United Kingdom, which has also shown interest in seeking a way out, she told foreign correspondents in Quito, according to Agence France-Presse.
Assange, who has received numerous visitors to his modest quarters in the embassy, ranging from Nigel Farage to Lady Gaga, has described the period since his initial arrest as a terrible injustice. Not being able to see his children grow up was not something I can forgive, he said.
For several years, Metropolitan police officers maintained a constant watch of the embassy, which is situated behind Harrods in central London, at a cost of at least 11.1m, according to figures released by Scotland Yard in June 2015. Four months later, police lifted the round-the-clock guard on the basis it was no longer proportionate.
A United Nations panel concluded in 2016 that Assange was under arbitrary detention.
On Tuesday evening, a lawyer for Assange appeared to welcome Ecuadors proposal. He said his client had a right to asylum and argued that the risk of him being persecuted in the US had escalated further in recent months under the Trump administrations war on WikiLeaks and that the investigation in Sweden had twice been discontinued.
If the UK wishes to show that it is a nation that respects its human rights obligations and commitments to the United Nations, it is time for Mr Assange to be allowed to enjoy his right to liberty, and fundamental right to protection against persecution in the United States, she said.
A spokesperson for the UK government said: The government of Ecuador knows that the way to resolve this issue is for Julian Assange to leave the embassy to face justice.
View original post here:
Julian Assange’s stay in London embassy untenable, says …
- A Call to Bring Julian Assange Home Consortiumnews - July 21st, 2018
- Pamela Anderson Opens Up About Being Linked to Julian Assange ... - July 21st, 2018
- Julian Assange, CrowdStrike, and the Russian Hack That Wasnt ... - July 18th, 2018
- Report: Julian Assange Soon May Be Kicked Out of Embassy - July 18th, 2018
- Why I Stand With Julian Assange | The American Conservative - July 17th, 2018
- Persecution of WikiLeaks editor Julian Assange continues ... - July 10th, 2018
- Julian Assange - Computer Programmer, Journalist, Activist ... - July 6th, 2018
- "I Am Julian Assange" | Zero Hedge - July 4th, 2018
- The Next Step: The Campaign for Julian Assange - July 4th, 2018
- UK Should Reject Extraditing Julian Assange to US | Human ... - June 26th, 2018
- Vigil for the health of Julian Assange to take place in ... - June 25th, 2018
- Julian Assange and the Mindszenty Case - Antiwar.com Original - June 23rd, 2018
- Bring Julian Assange Home - counterpunch.org - June 20th, 2018
- Julian Assange, WikiLeaks publisher, receives rare embassy ... - June 10th, 2018
- Free Julian Assange rallies called in Sri Lanka and India ... - June 10th, 2018
- Pamela Anderson Defends Russia and Julian Assange: Ive ... - June 10th, 2018
- Lift the ban on communications! Free Julian Assange ... - June 8th, 2018
- Pamela Anderson Says Trump Should Pardon Julian Assange - June 8th, 2018
- Ecuador's president says Julian Assange can stay in ... - June 1st, 2018
- Julian Assange: UK 'threat' to arrest Wikileaks founder - BBC ... - May 31st, 2018
- Julian Assange's refuge 'in jeopardy' - CNN Video - May 26th, 2018
- Ecuador to remove Julian Assange's extra security from ... - May 21st, 2018
- The ballad of Pammy and Julian Assange - her poor ... - May 4th, 2018
- Ecuador cuts off Julian Assange's internet access at ... - March 29th, 2018
- Julian Assange loses Internet access - The Washington Post - March 29th, 2018
- Ecuador cutting off WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange's ... - March 29th, 2018
- Ecuador cuts WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange's internet ... - March 29th, 2018
- Ecuador Disconnects Julian Assange From The Internet : The ... - March 29th, 2018
- The Scourging of Julian Assange - counterpunch.org - February 16th, 2018
- Julian Assange, founder of WikiLeaks, loses court appeal to ... - February 16th, 2018
- Fugitive Julian Assange 'considers himself above the law': judge - February 16th, 2018
- Julian Assange's arrest warrant stilll stands, says UK judge ... - February 16th, 2018
- Julian Assange accused of cowardice by British judge - BI - February 14th, 2018
- Judge tells Julian Assange to have 'courage' to face court ... - February 14th, 2018
- Judge refuses to withdraw Julian Assange arrest warrant ... - February 14th, 2018
- Judge Upholds U.K. Warrant Against Julian Assange : The Two ... - February 11th, 2018
- Julian Assange 'has suffered enough', his lawyers tell ... - February 9th, 2018
- Julian Assange: WikiLeaks founder faces decision on ... - February 9th, 2018
- British judge upholds arrest warrant for Julian Assange | Fox ... - February 9th, 2018
- UK judge upholds Julian Assange's arrest warrant - rt.com - February 9th, 2018
- Julian Assange: Wikileaks founder still hopeful of having ... - February 9th, 2018
- Julian Assange arrest warrant still stands, court rules ... - February 7th, 2018
- Julian Assange still faces arrest after judge rules ... - February 7th, 2018
- Julian Assange United Kingdom arrest warrant upheld in ... - February 7th, 2018
- Julian Assange: WikiLeaks founder will have to wait until ... - February 2nd, 2018
- Julian Assange mistakenly offers dirt on Dem senator to Sean ... - February 2nd, 2018
- Julian Assange Offered Hannity Impersonator News About Top ... - February 2nd, 2018
- Texas woman dupes Julian Assange with fake Hannity Twitter ... - February 1st, 2018
- Julian Assange Asks U.K. Court to Drop His Arrest Warrant ... - January 28th, 2018
- Julian Assange's health in 'dangerous' condition, say ... - January 26th, 2018
- Ecuadors president calls Julian Assange more than a ... - January 23rd, 2018
- The secretive world of Julian Assange in London, and 6 other ... - January 20th, 2018
- Julian Assanges poor hygiene sparks complaints at embassy - January 15th, 2018
- WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange is now an Ecuadorian citizen ... - January 13th, 2018
- Ecuador Gives Assange Citizenship, Worsening Standoff With ... - January 13th, 2018
- Ecuador grants nationality to WikiLeaks founder Julian ... - January 13th, 2018
- WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange's poor hygiene sparks ... - January 13th, 2018
- Julian Assange is made an Ecuadorian citizen in effort to ... - January 12th, 2018
- Ecuador grants WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange citizenship ... - January 12th, 2018
- Julian Assange's asylum in Ecuadoran embassy in doubt ... - January 11th, 2018
- Julian Assange latest: Wikileaks chief mystery over claims ... - January 4th, 2018
- Christmas Mystery: Did Julian Assange Delete ... - thewrap.com - December 28th, 2017
- Navy explains 'inadvertent' tweet about Julian Assange | TheHill - December 28th, 2017
- Assange confirms WikiLeaks was approached by Trump-linked ... - December 12th, 2017
- 10 Things You Should Know About Julian Assange | Alternet - November 25th, 2017
- Saturday Night Live Spies on a Meeting Between Donald Trump ... - November 23rd, 2017
- Julian Assange Tries to Save Net Neutrality With Rambling ... - November 23rd, 2017
- WikiLeaks' Julian Assange claims he made 50,000% return on ... - November 23rd, 2017
- Julian Assanges strange new obsession ThinkProgress - November 23rd, 2017
- Kate McKinnon debuts Julian Assange impression on 'Saturday ... - November 23rd, 2017
- Help make Julian Assange Australia's US ambassador, WikiLeaks ... - November 17th, 2017
- Can We Still Trust Julian Assange and WikiLeaks? - Truthdig ... - November 17th, 2017
- We Knew Julian Assange Hated Clinton. We Didnt Know He Was ... - November 16th, 2017
- UK prosecutors admit destroying key emails in Julian Assange ... - November 11th, 2017
- Julian Assange: FBI Supplied Stephen Paddock Weapons For Massacre - November 6th, 2017
- Julian Assange on Roger Stone & Accusations About WikiLeaks ... - November 5th, 2017
- Julian Assange and #MeToo: Skeevy guys strike back - Salon.com - October 30th, 2017
- Assange: Trump-tied firm sought WikiLeaks' help before ... - October 28th, 2017
- Julian Assange confirms data firm Trump hired during campaign ... - October 28th, 2017
- Julian Assange confirms Cambridge Analytica sought ... - October 27th, 2017