BUENOS AIRES The legal saga of WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange could be taking a major new turn after Ecuador abruptly announced this week that Mr. Assanges asylum in the countrys London embassy now entering its sixth year is unsustainable given the Australians continued meddling in political affairs.
In an unexpected move that could impact the Russian election-meddling probe in the U.S., Ecuadoran President Lenin Moreno has broken with the policies of predecessor and mentor Rafael Correa and signaled that Mr. Assanges days of refuge in the London embassy are numbered.
Facing legal woes originally linked to sexual assault charges in Sweden that he claims are politically motivated, Mr. Assange may have slowly but surely overstayed his welcome, Mr. Morenos foreign minister said this week, suggesting that international mediation may help get the Australian asylee out of the mission in the posh Knightsbridge neighborhood.
We have an enormous interest in achieving a definitive solution for the Assange case, said Maria Fernanda Espinosa on Wednesday in Quito Ecuadors capital. To make that happen, we are in permanent dialogue with the government of the United Kingdom, and we are exploring various options to find a way out of this situation.
While Mr. Assange has found sanctuary in embassy, WikiLeaks, the organization he founded, has found itself at the center of the probe into whether the Kremlin tried to swing the U.S. election in favor of Donald Trump. The group made public thousands of sensitive internal emails from the Democratic National Committee and the Hillary Clinton campaign in the summer of 2016. Mr. Assange has denied he worked with Russian intelligence on the release of the hacked correspondence.
Negotiations led by a third country or a respected statesman, Ms. Espinosa said, could help solve the stalemate in London, insisting that the way to resolve this issue is for Julian Assange to leave the embassy to face justice.
Mr. Assange originally sought refuge in the embassy building in 2012 to evade a European arrest warrant issued for the Swedish prosecution. Though that investigation has since been dropped, he continues to face a separate British warrant for skipping bail.
The 46-year-old activist and his supporters contend that all attempts to take him into custody are ultimately aimed at extraditing Mr. Assange to the United States to face charges over the massive 2010 leaks of classified U.S. diplomatic cables a claim bolstered by Attorney General Jeff Sessions recent comments that getting access to Mr. Assange is considered a priority for U.S. investigators.
Ecuador, meanwhile, had long maintained it agreed to protect Mr. Assange from what is considers politically motivated prosecution. But while its foreign minister voiced concern for Mr. Assanges physical and psychological integrity, analysts noted that her overture marks a clear departure from the longstanding fierce defense of the hacker especially coming from Ms. Espinosa, a political holdover from the leftist Correa administration.
She was one of the promoters of this anti-American [and] anti-OAS rhetoric, said Santiago Basabe of the Latin American Social Sciences Institute in Quito. In this context, Assange served as the calling card of what Correa wanted to do on the international scene.
Correa and Assange
In fact, the former president an unquestioning ally and personal friend of the Venezuelas late anti-U.S. populist leader Hugo Chavez closely linked his own political fate to that of Mr. Assange, whom he had granted asylum within weeks of his showing up at the London embassy.
If you agreed with Correas government and Correa, you had to agree with [his handling of] the Assange case. And if you opposed Correa, you were against Assange, Mr. Basabe said. So the countrys internal polarization fundamentally served Assange, while Correa used it in an intelligent way, in political and electoral terms, by portraying Assange as persecuted, as a victim of the [American] empire.
The link was so tight that some 6,000 miles from Ecuadoran territory, Mr. Assange quite openly backed Mr. Moreno then Mr. Correas handpicked successor in last years presidential election. Opposition challenger Guillermo Lasso, by contrast, promised voters he would expel the WikiLeaks leader within 30 days of taking office.
I cordially invite Mr. Lasso to leave Ecuador within 30 days, Mr. Assange predictably retorted on Twitter after the candidates narrow defeat, earning a first rebuke from Mr. Moreno, who made it clear he preferred for the outspoken non-citizen to stay out of domestic politics.
Nevertheless, the WikiLeaks founders running commentary continued to irk the new Ecuadoran president, especially as Mr. Moreno increasingly distanced himself from Mr. Correa, whose leftist economic vision he sought to replace with closer ties to the countrys European and American trading partners.
Mr. Assange has not exactly been a model guest, finding it hard to stay quiet.
In the wake of Catalonias polarizing bid to secede from Spain late last year, Mr. Assange mused on social media that the breakaway regions fit men represented a force which if rallied vastly eclipses the available capacities of Spains police [and] army. Mr. Moreno assured Madrid that he had made the hacker promise in writing to keep his future thoughts to himself.
We have reminded him that his condition of asylum does not allow him to intervene in Ecuadoran or international politics, the president told the Spanish newspaper ABC. We have asked him not to talk about the topic of Catalonia. If he does, we will know to respond.
Seeking to improve on the sometimes testy relations Mr. Correa had with the U.S., Mr. Moreno likely also wants to avoid similar Assange ripples in relations with Washington Quitos top trading partner by far. And ending the politically costly asylum offered to Mr. Assange could serve as an opening salvo for a more balanced foreign policy in the region, Mr. Basabe said, in particular in moving away from the tilt toward the struggling leftist government of Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro.
Even more urgently, though, Mr. Moreno wants Mr. Assange to stop hovering in the background on the domestic front where he is pushing a Feb. 4 referendum that will likely reinstate term limits and if successful would further constrain what is left of the political clout of his estranged predecessor.
This means that Correa, at least in the short and medium terms, would be left out of the electoral arena, Mr. Basabe said. And combined with the internal tensions, it makes for an uncomfortable, unfavorable scene for Mr. Assange.
- Julian Assanges poor hygiene sparks complaints at embassy - January 15th, 2018
- WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange is now an Ecuadorian citizen ... - January 13th, 2018
- Ecuador Gives Assange Citizenship, Worsening Standoff With ... - January 13th, 2018
- Ecuador grants nationality to WikiLeaks founder Julian ... - January 13th, 2018
- WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange's poor hygiene sparks ... - January 13th, 2018
- Julian Assange is made an Ecuadorian citizen in effort to ... - January 12th, 2018
- Ecuador grants WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange citizenship ... - January 12th, 2018
- Julian Assange's stay in London embassy untenable, says ... - January 10th, 2018
- Julian Assange latest: Wikileaks chief mystery over claims ... - January 4th, 2018
- Christmas Mystery: Did Julian Assange Delete ... - thewrap.com - December 28th, 2017
- Navy explains 'inadvertent' tweet about Julian Assange | TheHill - December 28th, 2017
- Assange confirms WikiLeaks was approached by Trump-linked ... - December 12th, 2017
- 10 Things You Should Know About Julian Assange | Alternet - November 25th, 2017
- Saturday Night Live Spies on a Meeting Between Donald Trump ... - November 23rd, 2017
- Julian Assange Tries to Save Net Neutrality With Rambling ... - November 23rd, 2017
- WikiLeaks' Julian Assange claims he made 50,000% return on ... - November 23rd, 2017
- Julian Assanges strange new obsession ThinkProgress - November 23rd, 2017
- Kate McKinnon debuts Julian Assange impression on 'Saturday ... - November 23rd, 2017
- Help make Julian Assange Australia's US ambassador, WikiLeaks ... - November 17th, 2017
- Can We Still Trust Julian Assange and WikiLeaks? - Truthdig ... - November 17th, 2017
- We Knew Julian Assange Hated Clinton. We Didnt Know He Was ... - November 16th, 2017
- UK prosecutors admit destroying key emails in Julian Assange ... - November 11th, 2017
- Julian Assange: FBI Supplied Stephen Paddock Weapons For Massacre - November 6th, 2017
- Julian Assange on Roger Stone & Accusations About WikiLeaks ... - November 5th, 2017
- Julian Assange and #MeToo: Skeevy guys strike back - Salon.com - October 30th, 2017
- Assange: Trump-tied firm sought WikiLeaks' help before ... - October 28th, 2017
- Julian Assange confirms data firm Trump hired during campaign ... - October 28th, 2017
- Julian Assange confirms Cambridge Analytica sought ... - October 27th, 2017
- Clinton, Assange and the War on Truth - October 24th, 2017
- Whistleblower Julian Assange Sounds Off on #MeToo Twitter ... - October 24th, 2017
- Julian Assange Said Bernie Sanders Won Race, Was Threatened - October 20th, 2017
- Julian Assange Thanks U.S. Government for 50,000% Gains on ... - October 20th, 2017
- Julian Assange: "There's Something Wrong With Hillary Clinton ... - October 20th, 2017
- Hillary Clinton says Julian Assange colluded with Russia to ... - October 18th, 2017
- Julian Assange is squabbling with Ecuadors new president ... - October 15th, 2017
- Exclusive: Julian Assange on Roger Stone and Trump Campaign ... - October 15th, 2017
- Can Julian Assange now walk free? What happens next - Q&A ... - October 15th, 2017
- Julian Assange Marks 5.5 Years Inside Ecuadorean Embassy as ... - October 12th, 2017
- The 'World's First Internet War' Has Begun: Julian Assange ... - October 6th, 2017
- Chomsky: CIA Targeting of Julian Assange of WikiLeaks is ... - October 6th, 2017
- Video of Julian Assange Speaking After Sweden Halts Rape ... - October 6th, 2017
- Julian Assange: Sweden Drops Rape Investigation Against ... - October 6th, 2017
- Sweden Drops Rape Investigation into Julian Assange - Rolling ... - October 6th, 2017
- Why Trump should listen to Julian Assanges DNC email offer - October 4th, 2017
- WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange in war of words with nation ... - October 1st, 2017
- Sweden Withdraws Arrest Warrant for Julian Assange, but He ... - October 1st, 2017
- Julian Assanges claim that there was no Russian involvement ... - September 30th, 2017
- Swedish prosecutors drop Julian Assange rape investigation ... - September 30th, 2017
- Julian Assange says 'proper war is just commencing' after ... - September 29th, 2017
- Julian Assange Says He Will Provide Evidence ... - pjmedia.com - September 29th, 2017
- On Catalan independence, Julian Assange, Edward Snowden ... - September 29th, 2017
- Inside the Ecuadorean Embassy, an Artist Paints Epic Portraits of ... - September 27th, 2017
- Julian Assange: My Next Leak Will Ensure Hillary's Arrest ... - September 25th, 2017
- Pamela Anderson admits she isnt actually dating Julian ... - September 21st, 2017
- Congressman tries to broker White House pardon for Julian ... - September 20th, 2017
- GOP Congressman Tried to Broker Pardon for Julian Assange ... - September 20th, 2017
- Yes, Julian Assange has a solar-eclipse conspiracy theory for ... - August 26th, 2017
- Assange blasts 'absurd' bid to class WikiLeaks a hostile intelligence service - RT - August 24th, 2017
- Donald Trump could soon pardon Wikileaks founder Julian Assange after doing this - Express.co.uk - August 24th, 2017
- Julian Assange, Eclipse Truther - Gizmodo - Gizmodo - August 22nd, 2017
- Democrat's Call for FBI Probe of Meeting Gets Assange and Rohrabacher's Goat - OC Weekly - August 22nd, 2017
- Assange meets US congressman, vows to prove Russia did not ... - August 21st, 2017
- Report: GOP Rep. Dana Rohrabacher Meets With Julian Assange ... - August 21st, 2017
- Julian Assange, master of the (dark) arts - Apollo Magazine - August 21st, 2017
- Calls for FBI investigate to Dana Rohrabacher's meeting with Julian Assange grow - Salon - August 19th, 2017
- California politics updates: Rohrabacher says he'll take info he learned from Julian Assange back to President Trump - Los Angeles Times - August 19th, 2017
- 3 Questions About A Pro-Russia Congressman's Meeting With Julian Assange - NPR - August 18th, 2017
- Risk: The film Julian Assange doesn't want you to see - Stuff.co.nz - August 17th, 2017
- Julian Assange: software developer, whistleblower ... and 'edgewalker'? - The Guardian - August 15th, 2017
- Behind the Portrait: Julian Assange - The New Yorker - August 15th, 2017
- Julian Assange wants to hire the Google engineer who got fired for writing the controversial Google manifesto (GOOG ... - Markets Insider - August 12th, 2017
- The Nation: DNC Hack Was 'Inside Job,' Not by Russia - Newsmax - August 11th, 2017
- Google cancels all-staff diversity meeting - BBC News - August 11th, 2017
- 'You want me arrested?': Julian Assange tweets at France's Macron over leaked emails - RT - August 7th, 2017
- WOW! BREAKING=> Julian Assange Suggests Seth Rich - Who Was MURDERED in ... - August 5th, 2017
- Julian Assange Gets Laughed Off Twitter After Tone Deaf Poll - The Daily Dot - August 5th, 2017
- Julian Assange Trolls Hillary Clinton With Twitter Trend - August 1st, 2017
- Risk: Julian Assange film by Laura Poitras blurs the line between ... - The Conversation UK - August 1st, 2017
- Macron's emails RELEASED: WikiLeaks publishes documents and there's 790 mentions of BREXIT - Express.co.uk - July 31st, 2017
- Laura Poitras Talks Assange, Her Final Version of Risk and Trump's Tax Returns - Filmmaker Magazine - July 29th, 2017