BUENOS AIRES The legal saga of WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange could be taking a major new turn after Ecuador abruptly announced this week that Mr. Assanges asylum in the countrys London embassy now entering its sixth year is unsustainable given the Australians continued meddling in political affairs.
In an unexpected move that could impact the Russian election-meddling probe in the U.S., Ecuadoran President Lenin Moreno has broken with the policies of predecessor and mentor Rafael Correa and signaled that Mr. Assanges days of refuge in the London embassy are numbered.
Facing legal woes originally linked to sexual assault charges in Sweden that he claims are politically motivated, Mr. Assange may have slowly but surely overstayed his welcome, Mr. Morenos foreign minister said this week, suggesting that international mediation may help get the Australian asylee out of the mission in the posh Knightsbridge neighborhood.
We have an enormous interest in achieving a definitive solution for the Assange case, said Maria Fernanda Espinosa on Wednesday in Quito Ecuadors capital. To make that happen, we are in permanent dialogue with the government of the United Kingdom, and we are exploring various options to find a way out of this situation.
While Mr. Assange has found sanctuary in embassy, WikiLeaks, the organization he founded, has found itself at the center of the probe into whether the Kremlin tried to swing the U.S. election in favor of Donald Trump. The group made public thousands of sensitive internal emails from the Democratic National Committee and the Hillary Clinton campaign in the summer of 2016. Mr. Assange has denied he worked with Russian intelligence on the release of the hacked correspondence.
Negotiations led by a third country or a respected statesman, Ms. Espinosa said, could help solve the stalemate in London, insisting that the way to resolve this issue is for Julian Assange to leave the embassy to face justice.
Mr. Assange originally sought refuge in the embassy building in 2012 to evade a European arrest warrant issued for the Swedish prosecution. Though that investigation has since been dropped, he continues to face a separate British warrant for skipping bail.
The 46-year-old activist and his supporters contend that all attempts to take him into custody are ultimately aimed at extraditing Mr. Assange to the United States to face charges over the massive 2010 leaks of classified U.S. diplomatic cables a claim bolstered by Attorney General Jeff Sessions recent comments that getting access to Mr. Assange is considered a priority for U.S. investigators.
Ecuador, meanwhile, had long maintained it agreed to protect Mr. Assange from what is considers politically motivated prosecution. But while its foreign minister voiced concern for Mr. Assanges physical and psychological integrity, analysts noted that her overture marks a clear departure from the longstanding fierce defense of the hacker especially coming from Ms. Espinosa, a political holdover from the leftist Correa administration.
She was one of the promoters of this anti-American [and] anti-OAS rhetoric, said Santiago Basabe of the Latin American Social Sciences Institute in Quito. In this context, Assange served as the calling card of what Correa wanted to do on the international scene.
Correa and Assange
In fact, the former president an unquestioning ally and personal friend of the Venezuelas late anti-U.S. populist leader Hugo Chavez closely linked his own political fate to that of Mr. Assange, whom he had granted asylum within weeks of his showing up at the London embassy.
If you agreed with Correas government and Correa, you had to agree with [his handling of] the Assange case. And if you opposed Correa, you were against Assange, Mr. Basabe said. So the countrys internal polarization fundamentally served Assange, while Correa used it in an intelligent way, in political and electoral terms, by portraying Assange as persecuted, as a victim of the [American] empire.
The link was so tight that some 6,000 miles from Ecuadoran territory, Mr. Assange quite openly backed Mr. Moreno then Mr. Correas handpicked successor in last years presidential election. Opposition challenger Guillermo Lasso, by contrast, promised voters he would expel the WikiLeaks leader within 30 days of taking office.
I cordially invite Mr. Lasso to leave Ecuador within 30 days, Mr. Assange predictably retorted on Twitter after the candidates narrow defeat, earning a first rebuke from Mr. Moreno, who made it clear he preferred for the outspoken non-citizen to stay out of domestic politics.
Nevertheless, the WikiLeaks founders running commentary continued to irk the new Ecuadoran president, especially as Mr. Moreno increasingly distanced himself from Mr. Correa, whose leftist economic vision he sought to replace with closer ties to the countrys European and American trading partners.
Mr. Assange has not exactly been a model guest, finding it hard to stay quiet.
In the wake of Catalonias polarizing bid to secede from Spain late last year, Mr. Assange mused on social media that the breakaway regions fit men represented a force which if rallied vastly eclipses the available capacities of Spains police [and] army. Mr. Moreno assured Madrid that he had made the hacker promise in writing to keep his future thoughts to himself.
We have reminded him that his condition of asylum does not allow him to intervene in Ecuadoran or international politics, the president told the Spanish newspaper ABC. We have asked him not to talk about the topic of Catalonia. If he does, we will know to respond.
Seeking to improve on the sometimes testy relations Mr. Correa had with the U.S., Mr. Moreno likely also wants to avoid similar Assange ripples in relations with Washington Quitos top trading partner by far. And ending the politically costly asylum offered to Mr. Assange could serve as an opening salvo for a more balanced foreign policy in the region, Mr. Basabe said, in particular in moving away from the tilt toward the struggling leftist government of Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro.
Even more urgently, though, Mr. Moreno wants Mr. Assange to stop hovering in the background on the domestic front where he is pushing a Feb. 4 referendum that will likely reinstate term limits and if successful would further constrain what is left of the political clout of his estranged predecessor.
This means that Correa, at least in the short and medium terms, would be left out of the electoral arena, Mr. Basabe said. And combined with the internal tensions, it makes for an uncomfortable, unfavorable scene for Mr. Assange.
- A Call to Bring Julian Assange Home Consortiumnews - July 21st, 2018
- Pamela Anderson Opens Up About Being Linked to Julian Assange ... - July 21st, 2018
- Julian Assange, CrowdStrike, and the Russian Hack That Wasnt ... - July 18th, 2018
- Report: Julian Assange Soon May Be Kicked Out of Embassy - July 18th, 2018
- Why I Stand With Julian Assange | The American Conservative - July 17th, 2018
- Persecution of WikiLeaks editor Julian Assange continues ... - July 10th, 2018
- Julian Assange - Computer Programmer, Journalist, Activist ... - July 6th, 2018
- "I Am Julian Assange" | Zero Hedge - July 4th, 2018
- The Next Step: The Campaign for Julian Assange - July 4th, 2018
- UK Should Reject Extraditing Julian Assange to US | Human ... - June 26th, 2018
- Vigil for the health of Julian Assange to take place in ... - June 25th, 2018
- Julian Assange and the Mindszenty Case - Antiwar.com Original - June 23rd, 2018
- Bring Julian Assange Home - counterpunch.org - June 20th, 2018
- Julian Assange, WikiLeaks publisher, receives rare embassy ... - June 10th, 2018
- Free Julian Assange rallies called in Sri Lanka and India ... - June 10th, 2018
- Pamela Anderson Defends Russia and Julian Assange: Ive ... - June 10th, 2018
- Lift the ban on communications! Free Julian Assange ... - June 8th, 2018
- Pamela Anderson Says Trump Should Pardon Julian Assange - June 8th, 2018
- Ecuador's president says Julian Assange can stay in ... - June 1st, 2018
- Julian Assange: UK 'threat' to arrest Wikileaks founder - BBC ... - May 31st, 2018
- Julian Assange's refuge 'in jeopardy' - CNN Video - May 26th, 2018
- Ecuador to remove Julian Assange's extra security from ... - May 21st, 2018
- The ballad of Pammy and Julian Assange - her poor ... - May 4th, 2018
- Ecuador cuts off Julian Assange's internet access at ... - March 29th, 2018
- Julian Assange loses Internet access - The Washington Post - March 29th, 2018
- Ecuador cutting off WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange's ... - March 29th, 2018
- Ecuador cuts WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange's internet ... - March 29th, 2018
- Ecuador Disconnects Julian Assange From The Internet : The ... - March 29th, 2018
- The Scourging of Julian Assange - counterpunch.org - February 16th, 2018
- Julian Assange, founder of WikiLeaks, loses court appeal to ... - February 16th, 2018
- Fugitive Julian Assange 'considers himself above the law': judge - February 16th, 2018
- Julian Assange's arrest warrant stilll stands, says UK judge ... - February 16th, 2018
- Julian Assange accused of cowardice by British judge - BI - February 14th, 2018
- Judge tells Julian Assange to have 'courage' to face court ... - February 14th, 2018
- Judge refuses to withdraw Julian Assange arrest warrant ... - February 14th, 2018
- Judge Upholds U.K. Warrant Against Julian Assange : The Two ... - February 11th, 2018
- Julian Assange 'has suffered enough', his lawyers tell ... - February 9th, 2018
- Julian Assange: WikiLeaks founder faces decision on ... - February 9th, 2018
- British judge upholds arrest warrant for Julian Assange | Fox ... - February 9th, 2018
- UK judge upholds Julian Assange's arrest warrant - rt.com - February 9th, 2018
- Julian Assange: Wikileaks founder still hopeful of having ... - February 9th, 2018
- Julian Assange arrest warrant still stands, court rules ... - February 7th, 2018
- Julian Assange still faces arrest after judge rules ... - February 7th, 2018
- Julian Assange United Kingdom arrest warrant upheld in ... - February 7th, 2018
- Julian Assange: WikiLeaks founder will have to wait until ... - February 2nd, 2018
- Julian Assange mistakenly offers dirt on Dem senator to Sean ... - February 2nd, 2018
- Julian Assange Offered Hannity Impersonator News About Top ... - February 2nd, 2018
- Texas woman dupes Julian Assange with fake Hannity Twitter ... - February 1st, 2018
- Julian Assange Asks U.K. Court to Drop His Arrest Warrant ... - January 28th, 2018
- Julian Assange's health in 'dangerous' condition, say ... - January 26th, 2018
- Ecuadors president calls Julian Assange more than a ... - January 23rd, 2018
- The secretive world of Julian Assange in London, and 6 other ... - January 20th, 2018
- Julian Assanges poor hygiene sparks complaints at embassy - January 15th, 2018
- WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange is now an Ecuadorian citizen ... - January 13th, 2018
- Ecuador Gives Assange Citizenship, Worsening Standoff With ... - January 13th, 2018
- Ecuador grants nationality to WikiLeaks founder Julian ... - January 13th, 2018
- WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange's poor hygiene sparks ... - January 13th, 2018
- Julian Assange is made an Ecuadorian citizen in effort to ... - January 12th, 2018
- Ecuador grants WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange citizenship ... - January 12th, 2018
- Julian Assange's stay in London embassy untenable, says ... - January 10th, 2018
- Julian Assange latest: Wikileaks chief mystery over claims ... - January 4th, 2018
- Christmas Mystery: Did Julian Assange Delete ... - thewrap.com - December 28th, 2017
- Navy explains 'inadvertent' tweet about Julian Assange | TheHill - December 28th, 2017
- Assange confirms WikiLeaks was approached by Trump-linked ... - December 12th, 2017
- 10 Things You Should Know About Julian Assange | Alternet - November 25th, 2017
- Saturday Night Live Spies on a Meeting Between Donald Trump ... - November 23rd, 2017
- Julian Assange Tries to Save Net Neutrality With Rambling ... - November 23rd, 2017
- WikiLeaks' Julian Assange claims he made 50,000% return on ... - November 23rd, 2017
- Julian Assanges strange new obsession ThinkProgress - November 23rd, 2017
- Kate McKinnon debuts Julian Assange impression on 'Saturday ... - November 23rd, 2017
- Help make Julian Assange Australia's US ambassador, WikiLeaks ... - November 17th, 2017
- Can We Still Trust Julian Assange and WikiLeaks? - Truthdig ... - November 17th, 2017
- We Knew Julian Assange Hated Clinton. We Didnt Know He Was ... - November 16th, 2017
- UK prosecutors admit destroying key emails in Julian Assange ... - November 11th, 2017
- Julian Assange: FBI Supplied Stephen Paddock Weapons For Massacre - November 6th, 2017
- Julian Assange on Roger Stone & Accusations About WikiLeaks ... - November 5th, 2017
- Julian Assange and #MeToo: Skeevy guys strike back - Salon.com - October 30th, 2017
- Assange: Trump-tied firm sought WikiLeaks' help before ... - October 28th, 2017
- Julian Assange confirms data firm Trump hired during campaign ... - October 28th, 2017
- Julian Assange confirms Cambridge Analytica sought ... - October 27th, 2017