The WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange was made an Ecuadorian citizen last month, the nations foreign ministry has revealed, in an attempt to resolve the political impasse over his continued presence in the UK.
The 46-year-old has been naturalised after living for five and a half years in the cramped, Latin American countrys embassy in Knightsbridge, central London.
Earlier this week the UKs Foreign Office revealed that Ecuador had asked for Assange, who was born in Australia, to be accredited as a diplomat. The request was dismissed.
The Ecuadorian initiative was intended to confer legal immunity on Assange, allowing him to slip out of the embassy and Britain without being arrested for breaching his former bail conditions.
Assange failed to surrender to the UK authorities in 2012 after the supreme court rejected his appeal against extradition to Sweden to face accusations of sexual crimes, including rape. He was granted asylum in the Ecuadorian embassy.
Swedish prosecutors last year unexpectedly dropped their investigation into allegations against him, which he denied. WikiLeaks, however, fears that the US will seek his extradition if he leaves the embassy, believing there is a sealed US indictment seeking his arrest.
At a press conference on Thursday in the Ecuadorian capital, Quito, the foreign minister, Mara Fernanda Espinosa, explained that Assange had sought citizenship and that it had been granted on 12 December last year.
The Ecuadorian government is empowered to grant nationality to the protected person and thus facilitate … his inclusion in the host state, Espinosa told reporters.
Assanges life could be under threat from other states, she warned, adding that she was seeking a dignified and just solution to his situation with Britain.
On Wednesday evening, the UK Foreign Office put out a statement explaining that: The government of Ecuador recently requested diplomatic status for Mr Assange here in the UK. The UK did not grant that request, nor are we in talks with Ecuador on this matter. Ecuador knows that the way to resolve this issue is for Julian Assange to leave the embassy to face justice.
At the same time Assange appeared on his Twitter account for the first time wearing an Ecuadorian national football shirt.
A statement by Assanges legal team said: The UN ruling, issued almost two years ago, is crystal clear in its language. [He] is unlawfully and arbitrarily detained by the UK authorities and must be released. The UK should not permit itself to be intimidated by the Trump administrations public threats to take down Mr Assange.
- Ecuador cuts off Julian Assange's internet access at ... - March 29th, 2018
- Julian Assange loses Internet access - The Washington Post - March 29th, 2018
- Ecuador cutting off WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange's ... - March 29th, 2018
- Ecuador cuts WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange's internet ... - March 29th, 2018
- Ecuador Disconnects Julian Assange From The Internet : The ... - March 29th, 2018
- The Scourging of Julian Assange - counterpunch.org - February 16th, 2018
- Julian Assange, founder of WikiLeaks, loses court appeal to ... - February 16th, 2018
- Fugitive Julian Assange 'considers himself above the law': judge - February 16th, 2018
- Julian Assange's arrest warrant stilll stands, says UK judge ... - February 16th, 2018
- Julian Assange accused of cowardice by British judge - BI - February 14th, 2018
- Judge tells Julian Assange to have 'courage' to face court ... - February 14th, 2018
- Judge refuses to withdraw Julian Assange arrest warrant ... - February 14th, 2018
- Judge Upholds U.K. Warrant Against Julian Assange : The Two ... - February 11th, 2018
- Julian Assange 'has suffered enough', his lawyers tell ... - February 9th, 2018
- Julian Assange: WikiLeaks founder faces decision on ... - February 9th, 2018
- British judge upholds arrest warrant for Julian Assange | Fox ... - February 9th, 2018
- UK judge upholds Julian Assange's arrest warrant - rt.com - February 9th, 2018
- Julian Assange: Wikileaks founder still hopeful of having ... - February 9th, 2018
- Julian Assange arrest warrant still stands, court rules ... - February 7th, 2018
- Julian Assange still faces arrest after judge rules ... - February 7th, 2018
- Julian Assange United Kingdom arrest warrant upheld in ... - February 7th, 2018
- Julian Assange: WikiLeaks founder will have to wait until ... - February 2nd, 2018
- Julian Assange mistakenly offers dirt on Dem senator to Sean ... - February 2nd, 2018
- Julian Assange Offered Hannity Impersonator News About Top ... - February 2nd, 2018
- Texas woman dupes Julian Assange with fake Hannity Twitter ... - February 1st, 2018
- Julian Assange Asks U.K. Court to Drop His Arrest Warrant ... - January 28th, 2018
- Julian Assange's health in 'dangerous' condition, say ... - January 26th, 2018
- Ecuadors president calls Julian Assange more than a ... - January 23rd, 2018
- The secretive world of Julian Assange in London, and 6 other ... - January 20th, 2018
- Julian Assanges poor hygiene sparks complaints at embassy - January 15th, 2018
- WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange is now an Ecuadorian citizen ... - January 13th, 2018
- Ecuador Gives Assange Citizenship, Worsening Standoff With ... - January 13th, 2018
- Ecuador grants nationality to WikiLeaks founder Julian ... - January 13th, 2018
- WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange's poor hygiene sparks ... - January 13th, 2018
- Ecuador grants WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange citizenship ... - January 12th, 2018
- Julian Assange's asylum in Ecuadoran embassy in doubt ... - January 11th, 2018
- Julian Assange's stay in London embassy untenable, says ... - January 10th, 2018
- Julian Assange latest: Wikileaks chief mystery over claims ... - January 4th, 2018
- Christmas Mystery: Did Julian Assange Delete ... - thewrap.com - December 28th, 2017
- Navy explains 'inadvertent' tweet about Julian Assange | TheHill - December 28th, 2017
- Assange confirms WikiLeaks was approached by Trump-linked ... - December 12th, 2017
- 10 Things You Should Know About Julian Assange | Alternet - November 25th, 2017
- Saturday Night Live Spies on a Meeting Between Donald Trump ... - November 23rd, 2017
- Julian Assange Tries to Save Net Neutrality With Rambling ... - November 23rd, 2017
- WikiLeaks' Julian Assange claims he made 50,000% return on ... - November 23rd, 2017
- Julian Assanges strange new obsession ThinkProgress - November 23rd, 2017
- Kate McKinnon debuts Julian Assange impression on 'Saturday ... - November 23rd, 2017
- Help make Julian Assange Australia's US ambassador, WikiLeaks ... - November 17th, 2017
- Can We Still Trust Julian Assange and WikiLeaks? - Truthdig ... - November 17th, 2017
- We Knew Julian Assange Hated Clinton. We Didnt Know He Was ... - November 16th, 2017
- UK prosecutors admit destroying key emails in Julian Assange ... - November 11th, 2017
- Julian Assange: FBI Supplied Stephen Paddock Weapons For Massacre - November 6th, 2017
- Julian Assange on Roger Stone & Accusations About WikiLeaks ... - November 5th, 2017
- Julian Assange and #MeToo: Skeevy guys strike back - Salon.com - October 30th, 2017
- Assange: Trump-tied firm sought WikiLeaks' help before ... - October 28th, 2017
- Julian Assange confirms data firm Trump hired during campaign ... - October 28th, 2017
- Julian Assange confirms Cambridge Analytica sought ... - October 27th, 2017
- Clinton, Assange and the War on Truth - October 24th, 2017
- Whistleblower Julian Assange Sounds Off on #MeToo Twitter ... - October 24th, 2017
- Julian Assange Said Bernie Sanders Won Race, Was Threatened - October 20th, 2017
- Julian Assange Thanks U.S. Government for 50,000% Gains on ... - October 20th, 2017
- Julian Assange: "There's Something Wrong With Hillary Clinton ... - October 20th, 2017
- Hillary Clinton says Julian Assange colluded with Russia to ... - October 18th, 2017
- Julian Assange is squabbling with Ecuadors new president ... - October 15th, 2017
- Exclusive: Julian Assange on Roger Stone and Trump Campaign ... - October 15th, 2017
- Can Julian Assange now walk free? What happens next - Q&A ... - October 15th, 2017
- Julian Assange Marks 5.5 Years Inside Ecuadorean Embassy as ... - October 12th, 2017
- The 'World's First Internet War' Has Begun: Julian Assange ... - October 6th, 2017
- Chomsky: CIA Targeting of Julian Assange of WikiLeaks is ... - October 6th, 2017
- Video of Julian Assange Speaking After Sweden Halts Rape ... - October 6th, 2017
- Julian Assange: Sweden Drops Rape Investigation Against ... - October 6th, 2017
- Sweden Drops Rape Investigation into Julian Assange - Rolling ... - October 6th, 2017
- Why Trump should listen to Julian Assanges DNC email offer - October 4th, 2017
- WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange in war of words with nation ... - October 1st, 2017
- Sweden Withdraws Arrest Warrant for Julian Assange, but He ... - October 1st, 2017
- Julian Assanges claim that there was no Russian involvement ... - September 30th, 2017
- Swedish prosecutors drop Julian Assange rape investigation ... - September 30th, 2017
- Julian Assange says 'proper war is just commencing' after ... - September 29th, 2017
- Julian Assange Says He Will Provide Evidence ... - pjmedia.com - September 29th, 2017
- On Catalan independence, Julian Assange, Edward Snowden ... - September 29th, 2017