The WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange was made an Ecuadorian citizen last month, the nations foreign ministry has revealed, in an attempt to resolve the political impasse over his continued presence in the UK.
The 46-year-old has been naturalised after living for five and a half years in the cramped, Latin American countrys embassy in Knightsbridge, central London.
Earlier this week the UKs Foreign Office revealed that Ecuador had asked for Assange, who was born in Australia, to be accredited as a diplomat. The request was dismissed.
The Ecuadorian initiative was intended to confer legal immunity on Assange, allowing him to slip out of the embassy and Britain without being arrested for breaching his former bail conditions.
Assange failed to surrender to the UK authorities in 2012 after the supreme court rejected his appeal against extradition to Sweden to face accusations of sexual crimes, including rape. He was granted asylum in the Ecuadorian embassy.
Swedish prosecutors last year unexpectedly dropped their investigation into allegations against him, which he denied. WikiLeaks, however, fears that the US will seek his extradition if he leaves the embassy, believing there is a sealed US indictment seeking his arrest.
At a press conference on Thursday in the Ecuadorian capital, Quito, the foreign minister, Mara Fernanda Espinosa, explained that Assange had sought citizenship and that it had been granted on 12 December last year.
The Ecuadorian government is empowered to grant nationality to the protected person and thus facilitate … his inclusion in the host state, Espinosa told reporters.
Assanges life could be under threat from other states, she warned, adding that she was seeking a dignified and just solution to his situation with Britain.
On Wednesday evening, the UK Foreign Office put out a statement explaining that: The government of Ecuador recently requested diplomatic status for Mr Assange here in the UK. The UK did not grant that request, nor are we in talks with Ecuador on this matter. Ecuador knows that the way to resolve this issue is for Julian Assange to leave the embassy to face justice.
At the same time Assange appeared on his Twitter account for the first time wearing an Ecuadorian national football shirt.
A statement by Assanges legal team said: The UN ruling, issued almost two years ago, is crystal clear in its language. [He] is unlawfully and arbitrarily detained by the UK authorities and must be released. The UK should not permit itself to be intimidated by the Trump administrations public threats to take down Mr Assange.
- Julian Assanges poor hygiene sparks complaints at embassy - January 15th, 2018
- WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange is now an Ecuadorian citizen ... - January 13th, 2018
- Ecuador Gives Assange Citizenship, Worsening Standoff With ... - January 13th, 2018
- Ecuador grants nationality to WikiLeaks founder Julian ... - January 13th, 2018
- WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange's poor hygiene sparks ... - January 13th, 2018
- Ecuador grants WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange citizenship ... - January 12th, 2018
- Julian Assange's asylum in Ecuadoran embassy in doubt ... - January 11th, 2018
- Julian Assange's stay in London embassy untenable, says ... - January 10th, 2018
- Julian Assange latest: Wikileaks chief mystery over claims ... - January 4th, 2018
- Christmas Mystery: Did Julian Assange Delete ... - thewrap.com - December 28th, 2017
- Navy explains 'inadvertent' tweet about Julian Assange | TheHill - December 28th, 2017
- Assange confirms WikiLeaks was approached by Trump-linked ... - December 12th, 2017
- 10 Things You Should Know About Julian Assange | Alternet - November 25th, 2017
- Saturday Night Live Spies on a Meeting Between Donald Trump ... - November 23rd, 2017
- Julian Assange Tries to Save Net Neutrality With Rambling ... - November 23rd, 2017
- WikiLeaks' Julian Assange claims he made 50,000% return on ... - November 23rd, 2017
- Julian Assanges strange new obsession ThinkProgress - November 23rd, 2017
- Kate McKinnon debuts Julian Assange impression on 'Saturday ... - November 23rd, 2017
- Help make Julian Assange Australia's US ambassador, WikiLeaks ... - November 17th, 2017
- Can We Still Trust Julian Assange and WikiLeaks? - Truthdig ... - November 17th, 2017
- We Knew Julian Assange Hated Clinton. We Didnt Know He Was ... - November 16th, 2017
- UK prosecutors admit destroying key emails in Julian Assange ... - November 11th, 2017
- Julian Assange: FBI Supplied Stephen Paddock Weapons For Massacre - November 6th, 2017
- Julian Assange on Roger Stone & Accusations About WikiLeaks ... - November 5th, 2017
- Julian Assange and #MeToo: Skeevy guys strike back - Salon.com - October 30th, 2017
- Assange: Trump-tied firm sought WikiLeaks' help before ... - October 28th, 2017
- Julian Assange confirms data firm Trump hired during campaign ... - October 28th, 2017
- Julian Assange confirms Cambridge Analytica sought ... - October 27th, 2017
- Clinton, Assange and the War on Truth - October 24th, 2017
- Whistleblower Julian Assange Sounds Off on #MeToo Twitter ... - October 24th, 2017
- Julian Assange Said Bernie Sanders Won Race, Was Threatened - October 20th, 2017
- Julian Assange Thanks U.S. Government for 50,000% Gains on ... - October 20th, 2017
- Julian Assange: "There's Something Wrong With Hillary Clinton ... - October 20th, 2017
- Hillary Clinton says Julian Assange colluded with Russia to ... - October 18th, 2017
- Julian Assange is squabbling with Ecuadors new president ... - October 15th, 2017
- Exclusive: Julian Assange on Roger Stone and Trump Campaign ... - October 15th, 2017
- Can Julian Assange now walk free? What happens next - Q&A ... - October 15th, 2017
- Julian Assange Marks 5.5 Years Inside Ecuadorean Embassy as ... - October 12th, 2017
- The 'World's First Internet War' Has Begun: Julian Assange ... - October 6th, 2017
- Chomsky: CIA Targeting of Julian Assange of WikiLeaks is ... - October 6th, 2017
- Video of Julian Assange Speaking After Sweden Halts Rape ... - October 6th, 2017
- Julian Assange: Sweden Drops Rape Investigation Against ... - October 6th, 2017
- Sweden Drops Rape Investigation into Julian Assange - Rolling ... - October 6th, 2017
- Why Trump should listen to Julian Assanges DNC email offer - October 4th, 2017
- WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange in war of words with nation ... - October 1st, 2017
- Sweden Withdraws Arrest Warrant for Julian Assange, but He ... - October 1st, 2017
- Julian Assanges claim that there was no Russian involvement ... - September 30th, 2017
- Swedish prosecutors drop Julian Assange rape investigation ... - September 30th, 2017
- Julian Assange says 'proper war is just commencing' after ... - September 29th, 2017
- Julian Assange Says He Will Provide Evidence ... - pjmedia.com - September 29th, 2017
- On Catalan independence, Julian Assange, Edward Snowden ... - September 29th, 2017
- Inside the Ecuadorean Embassy, an Artist Paints Epic Portraits of ... - September 27th, 2017
- Julian Assange: My Next Leak Will Ensure Hillary's Arrest ... - September 25th, 2017
- Pamela Anderson admits she isnt actually dating Julian ... - September 21st, 2017
- Congressman tries to broker White House pardon for Julian ... - September 20th, 2017
- GOP Congressman Tried to Broker Pardon for Julian Assange ... - September 20th, 2017
- Yes, Julian Assange has a solar-eclipse conspiracy theory for ... - August 26th, 2017
- Assange blasts 'absurd' bid to class WikiLeaks a hostile intelligence service - RT - August 24th, 2017
- Donald Trump could soon pardon Wikileaks founder Julian Assange after doing this - Express.co.uk - August 24th, 2017
- Julian Assange, Eclipse Truther - Gizmodo - Gizmodo - August 22nd, 2017
- Democrat's Call for FBI Probe of Meeting Gets Assange and Rohrabacher's Goat - OC Weekly - August 22nd, 2017
- Assange meets US congressman, vows to prove Russia did not ... - August 21st, 2017
- Report: GOP Rep. Dana Rohrabacher Meets With Julian Assange ... - August 21st, 2017
- Julian Assange, master of the (dark) arts - Apollo Magazine - August 21st, 2017
- Calls for FBI investigate to Dana Rohrabacher's meeting with Julian Assange grow - Salon - August 19th, 2017
- California politics updates: Rohrabacher says he'll take info he learned from Julian Assange back to President Trump - Los Angeles Times - August 19th, 2017
- 3 Questions About A Pro-Russia Congressman's Meeting With Julian Assange - NPR - August 18th, 2017
- Risk: The film Julian Assange doesn't want you to see - Stuff.co.nz - August 17th, 2017
- Julian Assange: software developer, whistleblower ... and 'edgewalker'? - The Guardian - August 15th, 2017
- Behind the Portrait: Julian Assange - The New Yorker - August 15th, 2017
- Julian Assange wants to hire the Google engineer who got fired for writing the controversial Google manifesto (GOOG ... - Markets Insider - August 12th, 2017
- The Nation: DNC Hack Was 'Inside Job,' Not by Russia - Newsmax - August 11th, 2017
- Google cancels all-staff diversity meeting - BBC News - August 11th, 2017
- 'You want me arrested?': Julian Assange tweets at France's Macron over leaked emails - RT - August 7th, 2017
- WOW! BREAKING=> Julian Assange Suggests Seth Rich - Who Was MURDERED in ... - August 5th, 2017
- Julian Assange Gets Laughed Off Twitter After Tone Deaf Poll - The Daily Dot - August 5th, 2017
- Julian Assange Trolls Hillary Clinton With Twitter Trend - August 1st, 2017
- Risk: Julian Assange film by Laura Poitras blurs the line between ... - The Conversation UK - August 1st, 2017
- Macron's emails RELEASED: WikiLeaks publishes documents and there's 790 mentions of BREXIT - Express.co.uk - July 31st, 2017
- Laura Poitras Talks Assange, Her Final Version of Risk and Trump's Tax Returns - Filmmaker Magazine - July 29th, 2017