The WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange was made an Ecuadorian citizen last month, the nations foreign ministry has revealed, in an attempt to resolve the political impasse over his continued presence in the UK.
The 46-year-old has been naturalised after living for five and a half years in the cramped, Latin American countrys embassy in Knightsbridge, central London.
Earlier this week the UKs Foreign Office revealed that Ecuador had asked for Assange, who was born in Australia, to be accredited as a diplomat. The request was dismissed.
The Ecuadorian initiative was intended to confer legal immunity on Assange, allowing him to slip out of the embassy and Britain without being arrested for breaching his former bail conditions.
Assange failed to surrender to the UK authorities in 2012 after the supreme court rejected his appeal against extradition to Sweden to face accusations of sexual crimes, including rape. He was granted asylum in the Ecuadorian embassy.
Swedish prosecutors last year unexpectedly dropped their investigation into allegations against him, which he denied. WikiLeaks, however, fears that the US will seek his extradition if he leaves the embassy, believing there is a sealed US indictment seeking his arrest.
At a press conference on Thursday in the Ecuadorian capital, Quito, the foreign minister, Mara Fernanda Espinosa, explained that Assange had sought citizenship and that it had been granted on 12 December last year.
The Ecuadorian government is empowered to grant nationality to the protected person and thus facilitate … his inclusion in the host state, Espinosa told reporters.
Assanges life could be under threat from other states, she warned, adding that she was seeking a dignified and just solution to his situation with Britain.
On Wednesday evening, the UK Foreign Office put out a statement explaining that: The government of Ecuador recently requested diplomatic status for Mr Assange here in the UK. The UK did not grant that request, nor are we in talks with Ecuador on this matter. Ecuador knows that the way to resolve this issue is for Julian Assange to leave the embassy to face justice.
At the same time Assange appeared on his Twitter account for the first time wearing an Ecuadorian national football shirt.
A statement by Assanges legal team said: The UN ruling, issued almost two years ago, is crystal clear in its language. [He] is unlawfully and arbitrarily detained by the UK authorities and must be released. The UK should not permit itself to be intimidated by the Trump administrations public threats to take down Mr Assange.
- Julian Assange ordered by Ecuador to curb speech, clean ... - October 18th, 2018
- Julian Assange needs to take care of his cat, or itll be ... - October 18th, 2018
- Ecuador restores internet access to Julian Assange in embassy base ... - October 14th, 2018
- The image of Julian Assange grows darker by the day - The Washington Post - October 2nd, 2018
- Julian Assange appoints new WikiLeaks editor-in-chief ... - October 1st, 2018
- Was there a plan to help Julian Assange escape to Russia? - September 30th, 2018
- Wikileaks Julian Assange Steps Down. Heres Its New Editor | Fortune - September 29th, 2018
- WikiLeaks names new editor-in-chief, replacing Julian Assange | Fox News - September 29th, 2018
- WikiLeaks replaces Julian Assange as its editor-in-chief ... - September 29th, 2018
- Julian Assange is no longer editor-in-chief of WikiLeaks - September 29th, 2018
- Julian Assange replaced as Wikileaks editor-in-chief | TheHill - September 29th, 2018
- WikiLeaks replaces Julian Assange as editor-in-chief - September 28th, 2018
- Julian Assange Went After a Former Ally. It Backfired Epically. - September 28th, 2018
- Julian Assange steps down at Wikileaks - September 28th, 2018
- Julian Assange 'considering' testifying before US Senate ... - September 27th, 2018
- Julian Assange: International diplomat? - hotair.com - September 27th, 2018
- Did Russia Try to Rescue Julian Assange? | Vanity Fair - September 27th, 2018
- Russia plotted sneaking Julian Assange out of Ecuadorian ... - September 27th, 2018
- Ecuador wanted to make Julian Assange a diplomat and send him ... - September 27th, 2018
- Julian Assange's Mother: Seth Rich Was DNC Leaker - Your News ... - September 19th, 2018
- Julian Assange's fate rests on death penalty assurances ... - September 19th, 2018
- Petition to Trump: Pardon Julian Assange - infowars.com - September 19th, 2018
- Julian Assange - LewRockwell - September 12th, 2018
- Julian Assange is in poor health, needs treatment, says ... - September 8th, 2018
- As his isolation intensifies, WikiLeaks' Julian Assange faces ... - August 29th, 2018
- Julian Assange, The Man Behind WikiLeaks - CBS News - August 27th, 2018
- Why Democracy Needs Solidarity for Julian Assange's Freedom - August 25th, 2018
- Assanges Mother Claims DNC Staffer Leaked Data To Wikileaks ... - August 25th, 2018
- Julian Assange and the Fate of Journalism - counterpunch.org - August 24th, 2018
- London: Ecuador embassy vigil marks six years since Julian ... - August 22nd, 2018
- We hear Julian Assange is 'seriously' considering coming to ... - August 21st, 2018
- Mueller investigation seeks to implicate WikiLeaks and Julian ... - August 21st, 2018
- Julian Assange pardon push going nowhere one year later - August 21st, 2018
- Julian Assange wanted to testify before Senate Intelligence ... - August 8th, 2018
- Julian Assange Is About To Lose Asylum, Arrest Imminent - August 7th, 2018
- Assange's refuge in Ecuadorian embassy 'in jeopardy ... - August 5th, 2018
- Why Americans Need to Defend Julian Assanges Freedom - August 5th, 2018
- Julian Assanges lawyer: Australian government has a duty ... - August 5th, 2018
- Julian Assange must eventually leave London embassy, says Ecuador - August 1st, 2018
- Julian Assange: WikiLeaks founder wants Australian government ... - August 1st, 2018
- WikiLeaks' Julian Assange could face 'imminent' embassy expulsion - July 31st, 2018
- Julian Assange faces imminent expulsion from Ecuadorean Embassy - July 30th, 2018
- Wikileaks' Julian Assange will be removed from Ecuadorean ... - July 28th, 2018
- Julian Assange looks for deal to end 'diplomatic isolation' - CNN - July 28th, 2018
- Julian Assange's team 'making plans for imminent expulsion ... - July 28th, 2018
- WikiLeaks' Julian Assange may be evicted from Ecuador ... - July 26th, 2018
- The Arrest of Julian Assange Appears Near - Truthdig - July 25th, 2018
- Ecuador to Withdraw Asylum for Wikileaks Founder Julian Assange - July 25th, 2018
- Is this finally the end for Julian Assange? - hotair.com - July 25th, 2018
- Ecuador close to evicting WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange ... - July 25th, 2018
- Martyrs to the Cause: Carter Page and Julian Assange ... - July 25th, 2018
- Julian Assange to be handed over to UK officials: Report - July 22nd, 2018
- Julian Assange Could Be Turned Over To U.K. Authorities Soon ... - July 22nd, 2018
- Julian Assange: Ecuador may be close to ejecting him from its ... - July 22nd, 2018
- A Call to Bring Julian Assange Home Consortiumnews - July 21st, 2018
- Pamela Anderson Opens Up About Being Linked to Julian Assange ... - July 21st, 2018
- Julian Assange, CrowdStrike, and the Russian Hack That Wasnt ... - July 18th, 2018
- Report: Julian Assange Soon May Be Kicked Out of Embassy - July 18th, 2018
- Why I Stand With Julian Assange | The American Conservative - July 17th, 2018
- Persecution of WikiLeaks editor Julian Assange continues ... - July 10th, 2018
- Julian Assange - Computer Programmer, Journalist, Activist ... - July 6th, 2018
- "I Am Julian Assange" | Zero Hedge - July 4th, 2018
- The Next Step: The Campaign for Julian Assange - July 4th, 2018
- UK Should Reject Extraditing Julian Assange to US | Human ... - June 26th, 2018
- Vigil for the health of Julian Assange to take place in ... - June 25th, 2018
- Julian Assange and the Mindszenty Case - Antiwar.com Original - June 23rd, 2018
- Bring Julian Assange Home - counterpunch.org - June 20th, 2018
- Julian Assange, WikiLeaks publisher, receives rare embassy ... - June 10th, 2018
- Free Julian Assange rallies called in Sri Lanka and India ... - June 10th, 2018
- Pamela Anderson Defends Russia and Julian Assange: Ive ... - June 10th, 2018
- Lift the ban on communications! Free Julian Assange ... - June 8th, 2018
- Pamela Anderson Says Trump Should Pardon Julian Assange - June 8th, 2018
- Ecuador's president says Julian Assange can stay in ... - June 1st, 2018
- Julian Assange: UK 'threat' to arrest Wikileaks founder - BBC ... - May 31st, 2018
- Julian Assange's refuge 'in jeopardy' - CNN Video - May 26th, 2018
- Ecuador to remove Julian Assange's extra security from ... - May 21st, 2018
- The ballad of Pammy and Julian Assange - her poor ... - May 4th, 2018
- Ecuador cuts off Julian Assange's internet access at ... - March 29th, 2018
- Julian Assange loses Internet access - The Washington Post - March 29th, 2018
- Ecuador cutting off WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange's ... - March 29th, 2018