Former NSA analyst Edward Snowden. (photo credit: REUTERS)
Dear Reader, As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.
As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.
For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:
Help us grow and continue telling Israels story to the world.
Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief
Edward Snowden, the infamous whistleblower who leaked classified NSA information in 2013, will speak via video conference to an Israeli audience at a closed event on November 6, according to a statement released on Wednesday.
Snowden will speak on Israel-related issues from his secret hideaway in Russia at an event organized by the Israeli media consultancy firm OH! Orenstein Hoshen.
Though he will not be physically present, due to concerns that he might be handed over to US authorities, he is expected to take questions from the audience. Former deputy chief of the Mossad Ram Ben-Barak will respond to Snowdens remarks.
Hedan Orenstein and Itamar Hoshen said, Our firm is engaged in advising clients in the realm of economics, law, technology and high-tech and these are exactly the fields in which Snowden is involved. Snowden is a fascinating figure because his actions are so controversial. The audience will hear can ask tough questions and people can work out their own opinions.
Snowden was working for a private contractor of the CIA and NSA when he made international headlines by publishing masses of classified information in the biggest and most sensitive leak in the history of intelligence.
The leak unveiled for the first time the existence of post-9/11 powerful and invasive global surveillance programs, many run by the NSA, with the cooperation of European governments and telecommunication companies, including Google, Microsoft and Verizon. Some of the programs were discontinued, while others were continued but with higher levels of regulation.
In February 2015, a classified document leaked by Snowden revealed information about the cooperative intelligence-gathering efforts of the US, UK and Israel against Iranian targets.
JPOST VIDEOS THAT MIGHT INTEREST YOU:
Other previous Snowden documents revealed a number of details of the inner workings of the intelligence relationships between the US and Israel and with the other members of the Five Eyes in general, which also includes Australia, Canada, New Zealand and England.
Those previous leaks, mostly in 2013, related to the NSA eavesdropping on some top Israeli officials and possible Israeli cooperation with the NSA to eavesdrop on other mutual allies of the two countries.
Another revelation indicated that the NSA may have greater authority to check communications with US citizens living in foreign countries, such as Israel, while yet another revealed that the US may sometimes cooperate with Unit 8200 to review metadata on behalf of the NSA that the NSA itself cannot review under US law.
Snowden remains one of the worlds most wanted fugitives. He could face life in prison or even the death penalty if he is ever captured.
He is both vilified as a traitor and revered as the whistle-blower who altered the playing field on the issue, putting the NSA on the defensive.
Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>
Share on facebook
- Edward Snowden after first 'Presidential Alert' test: 'All ... - October 7th, 2018
- Edward Snowden Biography - Biography - September 29th, 2018
- Edward Snowden: 5 years in Russia and still relevant as ever - September 28th, 2018
- Edward Snowden Reconsidered | by Tamsin Shaw | NYR Daily ... - September 14th, 2018
- Amazon.com: Snowden: Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Shailene Woodley ... - September 14th, 2018
- Playing Edward Snowden | The New Yorker - September 10th, 2018
- Snowden | Official Trailer [HD] | Global Road Entertainment ... - July 24th, 2018
- Amazon.com: Citizenfour: Edward Snowden, Glenn Greenwald ... - July 24th, 2018
- Edward Snowdens Life As a Robot -- NYMag - July 16th, 2018
- The 10 Biggest Revelations From Edward Snowden's Leaks - July 15th, 2018
- Edward Snowden Fast Facts - CNN - July 7th, 2018
- Edward Snowden describes Russian government as corrupt ... - July 1st, 2018
- Leaks Connected to Edward Snowden Are Still Trickling Out ... - June 5th, 2018
- Edward Snowden: Trump not smart enough to collude with ... - May 31st, 2018
- Edward Snowden: There's No One Trump Loves More Than ... - May 27th, 2018
- Edward Snowden Asylum in Russia - Wikipedia - April 5th, 2018
- Edward Snowden: Leaks that exposed US spy programme - BBC News - March 20th, 2018
- Edward Snowden: I got a security clearance faster than half ... - February 16th, 2018
- Edward Snowden - cnn.com - February 16th, 2018
- Edward Snowden awards - Wikipedia - February 9th, 2018
- Even Edward Snowden Is Slamming the Devin Nunes Memo - February 4th, 2018
- Edward Snowden is campaigning against the worlds largest ... - January 24th, 2018
- Edward Snowden calls for public release of FISA abuses memo ... - January 21st, 2018
- House votes to renew FISA surveillance laws revealed by ... - January 15th, 2018
- India's Aadhaar open for abuse: Edward Snowden - January 10th, 2018
- A Former NSA Deputy Director Weighs In On 'Snowden' - NPR - December 30th, 2017
- Edward Snowden made an app to protect your laptop - The Verge - December 26th, 2017
- Edward Snowden's Haven app uses your phone to detect intruders - December 24th, 2017
- "You're Being Watched": Edward Snowden Emerges ... - YouTube - December 16th, 2017
- Government Surveillance: Last Week Tonight with John Oliver ... - December 12th, 2017
- Edward Snowden: Surveillance Is about Power - YouTube - December 9th, 2017
- On the trail of Edward Snowden - variety.com - October 23rd, 2017
- Edward Snowden: the whistleblower behind the NSA surveillance ... - October 19th, 2017
- Edward Snowden | Biography & Facts | Britannica.com - October 7th, 2017
- Edward Snowden, NSA leaker, says U.S. should show evidence of ... - September 19th, 2017
- Edward Snowden will appear at the Free Library of Philadelphia ... - PhillyVoice.com - August 24th, 2017
- Trump, former top spy trade verbal barbs - Honolulu Star-Advertiser - August 24th, 2017
- This fellowship program brings tech knowledge to Congress - Technical.ly - August 24th, 2017
- Why Does Anyone Listen to James Clapper Anymore? - PJ Media - August 24th, 2017
- New York Film Festival Sets Documentary Lineup - Deadline - August 24th, 2017
- Librem 13 laptop review: physical security for the paranoid - The Verge - August 24th, 2017
- Edward Snowden Will Make an Appearance at the Free Library ... - Philadelphia magazine - August 22nd, 2017
- Edward Snowden is coming to the Free Library of Philadelphia (virtually) - Technical.ly Philly - August 22nd, 2017
- is upset the media says he lives in a basement - TNW - August 22nd, 2017
- Oliver Stone To Lead Jury At The Busan International Film Festival - Deadline - August 21st, 2017
- Harsh response to whistle-blowers took root under Obama - The Boston Globe - August 21st, 2017
- New Snowden or Crook? The Man Who Drives Wedge Between EU and Vietnam - Sputnik International - August 21st, 2017
- The fencing of the 4th estate: Q&A with Paul Farrell - Honi Soit - August 21st, 2017
- 'It's very much a 1984 world': Oliver Stone on making the film Snowden - Bendigo Advertiser - August 20th, 2017
- Pine Gap plays crucial role in America's wars, leaked documents reveal - ABC Online - August 20th, 2017
- Food for thought: UAE ambassador's hacked mails feed crucial policy debates - HuffPost - August 20th, 2017
- Is Trump going to pardon Julian Assange? - The Week Magazine - August 20th, 2017
- Global surveillance disclosures (2013present) - Wikipedia - August 19th, 2017
- Whataboutism: The Cold War tactic, thawed by Putin, is brandished by Donald Trump - Chicago Tribune - August 19th, 2017
- Linguist Noam Chomsky joins University of Arizona faculty - Arizona Daily Star - August 18th, 2017
- Rep. Dana Rohrabacher meets with WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange: Report - Washington Examiner - August 17th, 2017
- Martin Shkreli thinks he'll be president someday - Salon - August 17th, 2017
- 'Edward is a Non-Public Person': Why Snowden Turned Down a Russian Journalist - Sputnik International - August 15th, 2017
- Should Vladimir Putin be afraid of German Greens? - American Enterprise Institute - August 15th, 2017
- Pulitzer-Winner James Risen Joins The Intercept And First Look Media - HuffPost - August 13th, 2017
- Column: In defense of 'leakers' - The Daily Courier - August 12th, 2017
- Vogue: Chelsea Manning Didn't Regret 'Leaking of State Secrets' - NewsBusters (press release) (blog) - August 11th, 2017
- Security means knowing your network better than your attackers or your users: ex NSA head - CSO Australia - August 8th, 2017
- Booz Allen Hamilton's criminal probe could drag on for years, CEO says - Washington Post - August 7th, 2017
- As The Trump Administration Cracks Down, Technology Makes Leaking Easier - KUT - August 7th, 2017
- Entertainment Hackers Morphing Into Criminal Enterprises: IT Experts - Deadline - August 6th, 2017
- Obama's 'War on Leakers' Was More Aggressive Than Trump's So Far - Newsweek - August 5th, 2017
- Edward Snowden: Russian crackdown on web freedom is 'violation of human rights' - International Business Times UK - August 4th, 2017
- Netflix documentary shows the depths of Russia's doping regime - New York Post - August 4th, 2017
- Former National Security Agency Deputy Director John Inglis warns on data collection - NEWS.com.au - August 3rd, 2017
- Phone Companies Introduce Non-Removable Batteries After Edward Snowden Warning - Sputnik International - August 2nd, 2017
- 'Tragedy Of Policy': Snowden Calls Out Putin For Ban On Portion of Internet - The Daily Caller - August 2nd, 2017
- Amnesty, Snowden Decry New Russian Internet Restrictions - RadioFreeEurope/RadioLiberty - August 1st, 2017
- Icarus: See the Chilling Moment Russia's Doping Doctor Realizes His Life Is in Danger - Vanity Fair - August 1st, 2017
- NSA whistleblower Snowden: VPN ban makes Russia 'less safe and less free' - ZDNet - July 31st, 2017
- When Snowden mattered - TechCrunch - July 30th, 2017
- Episode 269: Former DIA specialist Danielle Bizier talks China and personally working with Edward Snowden - SOFREP (press release) (subscription) - July 30th, 2017
- Another Way To Address Leaks - FITSNews - July 28th, 2017
- Edward Snowden-WikiLeaks-CIA hacks: US gov reckless beyond ... - CNBC - July 22nd, 2017
- South Carolinians Hate . . . Edward Snowden? - WLTX.com - July 22nd, 2017