Almost one year has passed since Chelsea Manning was released from the U.S Army prison at Fort Leavenworth, Kansas. Manning, the most famous Army whistleblower, served seven years of a 35-year sentence for leaking hundreds of thousands of classified records about the American wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. The day after receiving that sentence in 2014, she released a statement that read in part: As I transition into this next phase of my life, I want everyone to know the real me. I am Chelsea Manning. I am a female. President Barack Obama commuted her sentence before he left office, and she has not wasted any time, announcing a run for the U.S. Senate seat in Maryland.
Appearing on the Democracy Now! news hour, she talked about her newfound freedom: Its overwhelming. I wake up some days, and Im not sure that this is actually happening. Im seeing more and more of the world and how its become the world I feared a decade ago.
These were real people in real places, not just dots on a map, she said. These are peoples lives and emotions. Were in their home I couldnt separate my work from my emotions anymore.
A decade ago she was known as Pvt. Bradley Manning, working as an Army intelligence analyst in Iraq, where she had a front-row seat to the war: These were real people in real places, not just dots on a map, she said. These are peoples lives and emotions. Were in their home I couldnt separate my work from my emotions anymore.
Manning continued: I went to my housing unit at night, and I couldnt sleep. I would look at the news it was almost like a glossing over of what had happened in Iraq, what I was seeing on the ground I was very worried about that disconnect.
Chelsea Manning amassed a trove of hundreds of thousands of classified, digital records of the U.S. wars: field reports from soldiers detailing everything from thousands of civilian deaths to torture and summary executions, along with thousands of diplomatic cables. After encountering technical hurdles in getting the material to both The Washington Post and The New York Times, she turned to what was at the time a little-known website designed to securely and anonymously receive leaked documents: WikiLeaks.
On April 5, 2010, WikiLeaks released the first of Chelsea Mannings leaks: a grainy video called Collateral Murder. The video was shot from the onboard camera of an Apache helicopter gunship, and captured the helicopters attack on a group of civilians on the ground in Baghdad, as the soldiers laughed and cursed. All 12 men were killed, including videographer Namir Noor-Eldeen and Saeed Chmagh, two employees of the Reuters news agency. Manning said of the Collateral Murder video, on Democracy Now!: This is not unusual. This is not a freak incident. This is what war is.
More leaks followed, with many of the worlds most prominent newspapers and magazines partnering with WikiLeaks to produce scores of in-depth, impactful stories based on the leaks.
Manning had confided details of the leak to someone via an online chat, and that person reported her to U.S. authorities. She was arrested, beginning an ordeal of imprisonment and military prosecution that the U.N. special rapporteur on torture, Juan Mendez, said constituted cruel, inhuman and degrading treatment that could constitute torture.
Manning was held in a cage in Kuwait, then moved to a Navy brig in Quantico, Virginia, where she continued to be held in solitary confinement. She described solitary as a practice that needs to be ended everywhere. Nothing justifies doing this to any human being.
Cardin has been in Maryland politics for 40 years, she says. Hes been behind a desk that whole time. What experience can he bring to the table? I have life experience. Ive been homeless. Ive been to prison. Ive been to war.
In prison, she fought for trans rights, suing officials for access to hormone treatments. In 2016, she wrote a letter to President Obama from the all-male prison at Fort Leavenworth where she was being held, appealing for a commutation of her sentence. I am merely asking for a first chance to live my life, she wrote, as the person I was born to be.
Chelsea Manning is now embarking on that life. Part of that is running in the June primary against Sen. Ben Cardin to be the Democratic candidate for the U.S. Senate. Cardin has been in Maryland politics for 40 years, she says. Hes been behind a desk that whole time. What experience can he bring to the table? I have life experience. Ive been homeless. Ive been to prison. Ive been to war.
Reform is not in her vocabulary. Manning is calling for the abolition of prisons, the elimination of Immigration and Customs Enforcement and Customs and Border Protection, for universal health care and more. We need to start pushing back. And the way we do that is by focusing on the systemic problems, she said.
Chelsea Manning ended her first campaign video last January with the hashtag that has come to signify her optimism and determination: #WeGotThis.
Read more from the original source:
Chelsea Manning: We Got This – commondreams.org
- Chelsea Manning on the far right, state surveillance and ... - August 15th, 2018
- HOPE XII: Chelsea Manning | Hackaday - July 27th, 2018
- Chelsea Manning's Senate campaign in Maryland falters ... - June 28th, 2018
- Chelsea Manning leaking support in uphill Senate race ... - June 28th, 2018
- Chelsea Manning Loses Longshot Maryland Primary Challenge ... - June 27th, 2018
- Chelsea Manning loses longshot bid in Maryland Democratic ... - June 27th, 2018
- Chelsea Manning tweets she's "safe" after deleting ... - June 2nd, 2018
- Chelsea Manning 'safe' after tweet that sparked concern ... - May 29th, 2018
- Chelsea Manning says rise of authoritarianism inspired U ... - May 13th, 2018
- Chelsea Manning files to run for US Senate seat in ... - April 15th, 2018
- Chelsea Manning: We Need to Stop This 'Death Machine of Power ... - March 29th, 2018
- Adrian Lamo, hacker who turned in Chelsea Manning to FBI ... - March 18th, 2018
- Poll: Chelsea Manning unlikely to defeat Ben Cardin ... - February 22nd, 2018
- Is Chelsea Manning's Senate campaign for real? 'Im ... - February 17th, 2018
- Chelsea Manning files for U.S. Senate run - POLITICO - February 14th, 2018
- We need to talk about Chelsea Manning - The Verge - February 9th, 2018
- Chelsea Manning - - Biography - February 2nd, 2018
- Chelsea Mannings Campaign Website is Based in Iceland. Why ... - January 30th, 2018
- Chelsea Manning on Her Alt-Right Partying: I Was a Spy, Not a ... - January 30th, 2018
- Chelsea Manning: The establishment needs to be challenged ... - January 30th, 2018
- Opinion | Why Im Ambivalent About Chelsea Manning - January 23rd, 2018
- Senator Chelsea Manning? Democrats Should Be Proud - Susan ... - January 23rd, 2018
- Report: Chelsea Manning Cannot Run for Office While on ... - January 23rd, 2018
- Senate bid could land Chelsea Manning back in prison - Hot ... - January 23rd, 2018
- Chelsea Manning Officially On The Ballot For U.S. Senate ... - January 23rd, 2018
- Chelsea Manning is the Mocking Jay in first campaign ad - Hot Air - January 21st, 2018
- Sen. Chelsea Manning? To even think about rewarding this ... - January 19th, 2018
- Chelsea Manning confirms Democratic run for Senate with ... - January 14th, 2018
- Chelsea Manning tweets 'F*** the police' on Law Enforcement ... - January 10th, 2018
- 'F--- the police': Chelsea Manning slams cops on Law ... - January 10th, 2018
- Chelsea Manning - Penny W. Stamps Distinguished Speaker ... - January 8th, 2018
- Chelsea Manning on Veterans Day: Stop Letting Troops Be ... - December 13th, 2017
- 'Foreign Policy' Names Chelsea Manning Top 'Global Rethinker ... - December 9th, 2017
- Harvard withdraws invitation to Chelsea Manning ... - POLITICO - December 6th, 2017
- Harvard Withdraws Fellowship Invitation To Chelsea Manning ... - November 23rd, 2017
- Exclusive: Chelsea Manning Tells Off Harvard and the CIA - November 23rd, 2017
- Harvard Rescinds Chelsea Manning's Fellowship - November 2nd, 2017
- Chelsea Manning: Wikileaks source celebrates 'first steps of ... - October 18th, 2017
- Chelsea Manning posts online that she was denied entry to ... - September 27th, 2017
- Chelsea Manning barred from travel in Canada due to US ... - September 27th, 2017
- Chelsea Manning Archives - Washington Free Beacon - September 25th, 2017
- Harvard Disinvites Chelsea Manning, and the Feeling Is ... - September 19th, 2017
- Harvard dean rescinds Chelsea Mannings visiting fellow ... - September 19th, 2017
- Chelsea Manning says her commutation was nothing like Joe Arpaio's pardon, thanks - Mashable - August 26th, 2017
- Chelsea Manning: Beauty Is 'An Expression of My Humanity' - Us ... - Us Weekly - August 24th, 2017
- Chelsea Manning Beauty Exclusive: 'This Is An Expression Of My Humanity' - HuffPost - August 24th, 2017
- CAT FIGHT? Chelsea Manning snaps at Ben Shapiro, Jenna Jameson swoops in with claws OUT - Twitchy - August 24th, 2017
- Chelsea Manning Goes Shopping with Vogue and Admits Her Style Icons Are Queen Elizabeth I and Marie Antoinette - PEOPLE.com - August 22nd, 2017
- Chelsea Manning Has Epic Response To Tweeter Who Wants Her 'Shot For Treason' - HuffPost - August 22nd, 2017
- 2017 EFF Pioneer Award winners: Chelsea Manning, Mike Masnick and Annie Game - Boing Boing - August 20th, 2017
- Chelsea Manning released: The past 'is only my starting point ... - August 19th, 2017
- Chelsea Manning Changed the Course of History. Now Shes ... - August 17th, 2017
- Chelsea Manning Doesn't Regret Military Leak in 'Vogue' Chat ... - August 17th, 2017
- A DNA Portrait Artist Imagined New Identities for Chelsea Manning - VICE - August 15th, 2017
- Op-Ed: When espionage pays, Chelsea Manning steps out for Vogue - SOFREP (press release) (subscription) - August 15th, 2017
- Chelsea Manning Will Be In 'Vogue's' September Issue - A Plus - August 15th, 2017
- The best thing about Chelsea Manning's shoot in Vogue is the lack ... - The Sydney Morning Herald - August 13th, 2017
- Chelsea Manning appears in Vogue magazine's September issue ... - August 12th, 2017
- Chelsea Manning doesn't look glamorous in Vogue. And that's great. - Washington Post - August 12th, 2017
- Chelsea Manning makes waves with Vogue swimsuit spread - CTV News - August 12th, 2017
- Chelsea Manning photographed for Vogue - KNWA - August 12th, 2017
- Chelsea Manning photographed for Vogue - WSYR - August 11th, 2017
- Chelsea Manning poses for Vogue magazine in red swimsuit - PinkNews - August 11th, 2017
- Chelsea Manning Tried To Pick A Fight With Ben ShapiroThings Did Not Turn Out Well - Townhall - August 10th, 2017
- Chelsea Manning's attorney blasts ACLU's decision to defend Milo Yiannopoulos - Washington Examiner - August 10th, 2017
- Chelsea Manning released from prison - CNNPolitics - August 6th, 2017
- Chelsea-Mannings-DNA-spawns-lifelike-3D-portraits - Story - CIproud.com - August 6th, 2017
- Chelsea Manning's DNA turned into 3D portraits - CNN.com - CNN - August 5th, 2017
- What is WikiLeaks and what are some of its biggest leaks? From Chelsea Manning and the US diplomatic cables to ... - The Sun - August 5th, 2017
- Chelsea Manning's Gallery Debut to Showcase DNA Self-Portraits She Made in Prison - Out Magazine - August 3rd, 2017
- Chelsea Manning's DNA, Candy-Colored Churches, and More Art ... - Bedford + Bowery - August 1st, 2017
- Chelsea Manning: President Trump, Trans People in the Military Are ... - New York Times - July 28th, 2017
- Chelsea Manning Is a Free Woman: Her Heroism Has Expanded ... - July 27th, 2017
- The day after Trump announced transgender ban, Chelsea Manning stops by White House - USA TODAY - July 27th, 2017
- Twitter 'Moments' Section Describes Chelsea Manning as a 'Whistleblower' - Washington Free Beacon - July 27th, 2017
- Chelsea Manning protests Trump's transgender military ban at the White House - Washington Examiner - July 27th, 2017
- MSNBC's Joy-Ann Reid Went On A Bizarre Transphobic Tirade Against Chelsea Manning Last Night - Mediaite - July 27th, 2017
- Chelsea Manning, progressive and LGBTQ groups slam President Trump's transgender ban - USA TODAY - July 27th, 2017
- Chelsea Manning Slams Trump's Trans Soldier Ban: 'Sounds Like Cowardice' - TPM - July 27th, 2017
- Chelsea Manning On Trans Military Ban: 'Sounds Like Cowardice' - Out Magazine - July 27th, 2017