NORTH BETHESDA, Md. Chelsea Manning is no longer living as a transgender woman in a male military prison, serving the lengthiest sentence ever for revealing U.S. government secrets. Shes free to grow out her hair, travel the world, and spend time with whomever she likes.
But a year since former President Barack Obama commuted Mannings 35-year sentence, Americas most famous convicted leaker isnt taking an extended vacation. Far from it: The Oklahoma native has decided to make an unlikely bid for the U.S. Senate in her adopted state of Maryland.
Manning, 30, filed to run in January and has been registered to vote in Maryland since August. She lives in North Bethesda, not far from where she stayed with an aunt while awaiting trial. Her aim is to unseat Sen. Ben Cardin, a 74-year-old Maryland Democrat who is seeking his third Senate term and previously served 10 terms in the U.S. House.
Manning, who also has become an internationally recognized transgender activist, said shes motivated by a desire to fight what she sees as a shadowy surveillance state and a rising tide of nightmarish repression.
The rise of authoritarianism is encroaching in every aspect of life, whether its government or corporate or technological, Manning told The Associated Press during an interview at her home in an upscale apartment tower. On the walls of her barely furnished living room hang Obamas commutation order, and photos of U.S. anarchist Emma Goldman and British playwright Oscar Wilde.
Mannings longshot campaign for the June 26 primary would appear to be one of the more unorthodox U.S. Senate bids in recent memory, and the candidate is operating well outside the partys playbook. She says she doesnt, in fact, even consider herself a Democrat, but is motivated by a desire to shake up establishment Democrats who are caving in to President Donald Trumps administration. She vows she wont run as an independent if her primary bid fails.
Shes certainly got an eye-catching platform: Close prisons and free inmates; eliminate national borders; restructure the criminal justice system; provide universal health care and basic income. The top of her agenda? Abolish the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, a federal agency created in 2003 that Manning asserts is preparing for an ethnic cleansing.
Manning ticks off life experiences she believes would make her an effective senator: a stint being homeless in Chicago, her wartime experiences as a U.S. Army intelligence analyst in Iraq even her seven years in prison. She asserts shes got a bigger vision than establishment politicians.
But political analysts suspect the convicted felon is not running to win.
Manning is running as a protest candidate, which has a long lineage in American history, to shine light on American empire, said Daniel Schlozman, a political science professor at Johns Hopkins University. Thats a very different goal, with a very different campaign, than if she wanted to beat Ben Cardin.
Mannings insurgent candidacy thus far has been a decidedly stripped-down affair, with few appearances and a campaign website that just went up. In recent days, she approached an anti-fracking rally in Baltimore almost furtively, keeping to herself for much of the demonstration. But when it was her turn to address the small group, her celebrity status was evident. People who never met her called her by her first name and eagerly took photos.
Manning has acknowledged leaking more than 700,000 military and State Department documents to anti-secrecy site WikiLeaks in 2010. She said her motivation was a desire to spark debate about U.S. foreign policy, and she has been portrayed as both a hero and a traitor.
Known as Bradley Manning at the time of her arrest, she came out as transgender after her 2013 court-martial. She was barred from growing her hair long in prison, and was approved for hormone therapy only after litigation. She spent long stints in solitary confinement, and twice tried to kill herself.
The Pentagon, which has repeatedly declined to discuss Mannings treatment in military prison, is also staying mum about her political ambitions. Democratic Party officials say they have no comment, citing a policy not to weigh in on primaries. Republican operatives are quiet.
In Maryland, a blue state thats home to tens of thousands of federal employees and defense contractors, it appears Mannings main supporters are independents or anti-politics, making them unlikely to coalesce politically. She recently reported contributions of $72,000 on this years first quarterly finance statement, compared with Cardins $336,000.
The candidate has barely made an effort at tapping sources of grassroots enthusiasm outside of activism circles. And its easy to find progressive Democrats who feel her candidacy is just a vehicle to boost her profile.
It feels to me almost like its part of a book tour that this is her moment after being released from prison, said Dana Beyer, a transgender woman who leads the Gender Rights Maryland nonprofit and is a Democratic candidate for state senate. I dont think this is a serious effort.
Manning is indeed working on a book about her dramatic life. For now, she says she supports herself with income from speaking engagements. Shes spoken at various U.S. colleges and is due to take the stage at a Montreal conference later this month.
Last week, she appeared at a tech conference in Germanys capital of Berlin, arriving to cheers from the audience of several thousand people. She told attendees shes still struggling to adjust to life after prison and hasnt gotten used to her celebrity status yet.
Theres been a kind of cult of personality that is really intimidating and that is overwhelming for me, she said in Berlin.
At her Maryland apartment, Manning told the AP she occasionally wakes up panicked that shes back in the cage in Kuwait where she was first jailed, or incarcerated at the Marine base at Quantico, Virginia, where a U.N. official concluded shed been subjected to cruel, inhuman and degrading treatment. She works hard to overcome anxiety, centering herself with yoga, breathing exercises, and reading.
Ive been out for almost a year now and its becoming increasingly clear to me just how deep the wounds are, she said in her Spartan living room.
Asked how she would define success, Manning responded with passionate intensity: Success for me is survival.
FOLLOW NBC OUT ON TWITTER, FACEBOOK AND INSTAGRAM
View original post here:
Chelsea Manning says rise of authoritarianism inspired U …
- Interview With Chelsea Manning Cut Short After Interviewer ... - October 2nd, 2018
- Chelsea Manning running to abolish ICE, promote universal ... - September 29th, 2018
- Chelsea Manning: Lest We Forget - TransGender Friendship Club - September 29th, 2018
- US whistle-blower Chelsea Manning granted work visa, will ... - September 29th, 2018
- President Obama, Please Save Chelsea Manning chase strangio ... - September 29th, 2018
- Chelsea Manning | . is a cunt - September 29th, 2018
- Adrian Lamo, former hacker who turned in Chelsea Manning ... - September 29th, 2018
- Senate for Chelsea Manning? She says she's running - CNET - September 29th, 2018
- Reading05: Chelsea Manning John McGuinness - September 29th, 2018
- Adrian Lamo - Wikipedia - September 29th, 2018
- Chelsea Manning, Friends Complain After Armed Officers ... - September 20th, 2018
- Chelsea Manning Continues Fight Against Unfair Hacking Charge ... - September 15th, 2018
- Rumors Run Wild as Leaker Chelsea Manning Electronically ... - September 13th, 2018
- New Zealand allows Chelsea Manning entry for speaking tour ... - August 31st, 2018
- Chelsea Manning May Be Banned From Entering Australia: Report - August 31st, 2018
- Oppose the ban on Chelsea Manning speaking in Australia ... - August 31st, 2018
- Australia may ban Chelsea Manning because of 'character ... - August 31st, 2018
- Ban 'felon' Chelsea Manning from New Zealand, urge ... - August 29th, 2018
- Chelsea Manning on the far right, state surveillance and ... - August 15th, 2018
- HOPE XII: Chelsea Manning | Hackaday - July 27th, 2018
- Chelsea Manning's Senate campaign in Maryland falters ... - June 28th, 2018
- Chelsea Manning leaking support in uphill Senate race ... - June 28th, 2018
- Chelsea Manning Loses Longshot Maryland Primary Challenge ... - June 27th, 2018
- Chelsea Manning loses longshot bid in Maryland Democratic ... - June 27th, 2018
- Chelsea Manning tweets she's "safe" after deleting ... - June 2nd, 2018
- Chelsea Manning 'safe' after tweet that sparked concern ... - May 29th, 2018
- Chelsea Manning: We Got This - commondreams.org - May 2nd, 2018
- Chelsea Manning files to run for US Senate seat in ... - April 15th, 2018
- Chelsea Manning: We Need to Stop This 'Death Machine of Power ... - March 29th, 2018
- Adrian Lamo, hacker who turned in Chelsea Manning to FBI ... - March 18th, 2018
- Poll: Chelsea Manning unlikely to defeat Ben Cardin ... - February 22nd, 2018
- Is Chelsea Manning's Senate campaign for real? 'Im ... - February 17th, 2018
- Chelsea Manning files for U.S. Senate run - POLITICO - February 14th, 2018
- We need to talk about Chelsea Manning - The Verge - February 9th, 2018
- Chelsea Manning - - Biography - February 2nd, 2018
- Chelsea Mannings Campaign Website is Based in Iceland. Why ... - January 30th, 2018
- Chelsea Manning on Her Alt-Right Partying: I Was a Spy, Not a ... - January 30th, 2018
- Chelsea Manning: The establishment needs to be challenged ... - January 30th, 2018
- Opinion | Why Im Ambivalent About Chelsea Manning - January 23rd, 2018
- Senator Chelsea Manning? Democrats Should Be Proud - Susan ... - January 23rd, 2018
- Report: Chelsea Manning Cannot Run for Office While on ... - January 23rd, 2018
- Senate bid could land Chelsea Manning back in prison - Hot ... - January 23rd, 2018
- Chelsea Manning Officially On The Ballot For U.S. Senate ... - January 23rd, 2018
- Chelsea Manning is the Mocking Jay in first campaign ad - Hot Air - January 21st, 2018
- Sen. Chelsea Manning? To even think about rewarding this ... - January 19th, 2018
- Chelsea Manning confirms Democratic run for Senate with ... - January 14th, 2018
- Chelsea Manning tweets 'F*** the police' on Law Enforcement ... - January 10th, 2018
- 'F--- the police': Chelsea Manning slams cops on Law ... - January 10th, 2018
- Chelsea Manning - Penny W. Stamps Distinguished Speaker ... - January 8th, 2018
- Chelsea Manning on Veterans Day: Stop Letting Troops Be ... - December 13th, 2017
- 'Foreign Policy' Names Chelsea Manning Top 'Global Rethinker ... - December 9th, 2017
- Harvard withdraws invitation to Chelsea Manning ... - POLITICO - December 6th, 2017
- Harvard Withdraws Fellowship Invitation To Chelsea Manning ... - November 23rd, 2017
- Exclusive: Chelsea Manning Tells Off Harvard and the CIA - November 23rd, 2017
- Harvard Rescinds Chelsea Manning's Fellowship - November 2nd, 2017
- Chelsea Manning: Wikileaks source celebrates 'first steps of ... - October 18th, 2017
- Chelsea Manning posts online that she was denied entry to ... - September 27th, 2017
- Chelsea Manning barred from travel in Canada due to US ... - September 27th, 2017
- Chelsea Manning Archives - Washington Free Beacon - September 25th, 2017
- Harvard Disinvites Chelsea Manning, and the Feeling Is ... - September 19th, 2017
- Harvard dean rescinds Chelsea Mannings visiting fellow ... - September 19th, 2017
- Chelsea Manning says her commutation was nothing like Joe Arpaio's pardon, thanks - Mashable - August 26th, 2017
- Chelsea Manning: Beauty Is 'An Expression of My Humanity' - Us ... - Us Weekly - August 24th, 2017
- Chelsea Manning Beauty Exclusive: 'This Is An Expression Of My Humanity' - HuffPost - August 24th, 2017
- CAT FIGHT? Chelsea Manning snaps at Ben Shapiro, Jenna Jameson swoops in with claws OUT - Twitchy - August 24th, 2017
- Chelsea Manning Goes Shopping with Vogue and Admits Her Style Icons Are Queen Elizabeth I and Marie Antoinette - PEOPLE.com - August 22nd, 2017
- Chelsea Manning Has Epic Response To Tweeter Who Wants Her 'Shot For Treason' - HuffPost - August 22nd, 2017
- 2017 EFF Pioneer Award winners: Chelsea Manning, Mike Masnick and Annie Game - Boing Boing - August 20th, 2017
- Chelsea Manning released: The past 'is only my starting point ... - August 19th, 2017
- Chelsea Manning Changed the Course of History. Now Shes ... - August 17th, 2017
- Chelsea Manning Doesn't Regret Military Leak in 'Vogue' Chat ... - August 17th, 2017
- A DNA Portrait Artist Imagined New Identities for Chelsea Manning - VICE - August 15th, 2017
- Op-Ed: When espionage pays, Chelsea Manning steps out for Vogue - SOFREP (press release) (subscription) - August 15th, 2017
- Chelsea Manning Will Be In 'Vogue's' September Issue - A Plus - August 15th, 2017
- The best thing about Chelsea Manning's shoot in Vogue is the lack ... - The Sydney Morning Herald - August 13th, 2017
- Chelsea Manning appears in Vogue magazine's September issue ... - August 12th, 2017
- Chelsea Manning doesn't look glamorous in Vogue. And that's great. - Washington Post - August 12th, 2017
- Chelsea Manning makes waves with Vogue swimsuit spread - CTV News - August 12th, 2017
- Chelsea Manning photographed for Vogue - KNWA - August 12th, 2017
- Chelsea Manning photographed for Vogue - WSYR - August 11th, 2017